How Can I Tell if my Nose is Just Badly Bruised?

I was punched in the face by a security gaurd 11 days ago. I had a nice red mark across the bridge of my nose for almost a week. The bridge and the right side of it was very sensitive any time I touched it. After about a week the swelling went down and I could feel the bump on the bridge which is still very tender. I dont hear anything crack if I try and move it a little. Is this normal for a badly bruised nose or is there something more I should have looked at?

Doctor Answers 3

Nasal trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  It is best have an examination by a ENT or  facial plastic surgeon to determine if there has been a fracture of the nose bones or septum, and to make sure that there is not a septal hematoma. Also important to make sure the upper lateral cartilages had not been fractured off the nasal bones. X-rays can also be helpful.

Rule out fracture or deviated septum from trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A direct examination would be helpful in determining if you have any septal deviation or other problems from the recent trauma. I would suggest an appointment with a specialist in septorhinoplasty for a proper diagnosis. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 212 reviews

You may have an nasal frature

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Point tenderness and a new bump on the bridge are signs that you could have a nasal fracture. An X-ray or CT scan would be able to identify a fracture, although it is probably not necessary to get one. The decision on whether or not you nee treatment is made based on presence of new nasal obstruction or new nasal deformity. I would recommend you be seen by a surgeon who is familiar with nasal injuries and their treatment (facial plastics,ENT, or plastic surgeon).

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.