Will my Nipples Point Outward After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I know surgery will enhance what I already have. However, I am wondering what you think will be the outcome of my BA. DO you think my nipples will point to the side? What is the best implant placement to address this issue?

Nipple location After #BreastAugmentation

When you start with nipples situated more on the outer aspect of the breasts, you are more likely to have a result that shares this trait. There are specific techniques we can use that will limit this tendency, and choosing the appropriate implant is very important in your situation. You should have a very nice result overall with a breast augmentation procedure. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Nipple position after augmentation

Much depends on what size implants you pick and what the dimensions of your implants are.  If you want less space between the mounds, your nipples will invariably point more outwards.  If you choose to have more fullness laterally, your nipples will be more centered.  It really depends on what you want and what size you choose.

Curtis Wong, MD

Nipple position after breast augmentation

The proper placement of an implant will ensure that you have the most natural result possible.  This is accomplished by precise dissection and the use of the correct size implant.  In looking at your picture, it does seem that your nipples do point outward slightly.  This may increase slightly with the placement of an implant, though you will still having natural result.  Thank you for your question.

Sincerely, Joseph C Berardi M.D.

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Great Results!

I think you'll get a great result!!! Even though your breast do have just a hint of an outward tilt to them, your cleavage area is great I agree that your shape will be much like it is now.....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

If you are seeking breast augmentation, I would recommend choosing a moderate size from the range that suits your frame (which is determined by taking measurements during consultation, along with the experience of your surgeon), and placing the implant under the muscle. The position of your nipple areola complex is somewhat lateral to start (off to the sides), and this will be more noticeable to you after augmentation. This is not because the nipples are moved, but simply because there is more volume underneath making this stand out more. I still think you can have a nice result, but probably the larger you go the more noticeable it will be. I would recommend seeking out a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with breast augmentation.

Anita Patel, MD

Will my Nipples Point Outward After Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your “starting point”, you should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Given that your nipple/areola complexes sit  somewhat to the “sides” on your breast mounds, it is likely that you will have basically the same situation exist,  on larger breasts, after breast augmentation surgery is performed.

If this is a concern to you, make sure you communicate this concern with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery. It is possible with breast implant pocket dissection and appropriate breast implant size/profile selection that the nipple/areola complexes can be “better centered” to some degree.

Yes more than likely the anatomic variation of outward projecting nipples would n=be still p[resent after augmentation surgery///

Pre-existing anatomy and a breast augmentation

As you have suspected a breast augmentation will only give you a bigger version of yourself.  Your areola and nipples have a slight propensity to point outward but I do not think it will  detract at all from a nice breast augmentation result.  

The areolae will look similar to the way they look now.   There are a couple of maneuvers that can be utilized to minimize this, but they can have disadvantages as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nipple position and breast augmentation

Although your nipple position is somewhat to the side you will have a very nice result with breast augmentation. Use of an appropriate diameter implant will add volume to the outer aspect of the breast causing the nipple to project forward improving the appearance of the breast.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with your concerns.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon