What Specific Upper Body Exercises Should I Avoid After a Breast Revision & Capsulorrhaphy? (photo)

I had saline sub-glandular implants replaced with silicone sub-muscular implants, internal bra due to shifting, and liposuction in the axilla/underarm areas 7 weeks ago. I know I can't do flys or probably bench presses, but are there any other exercises I should avoid at this stage or going forward? Dips, pull downs or anything overhead seems like it will be difficult, even though they do isolate the chest muscles. Also, what about sleep? When can i sleep on my stomach or side again? Thank you!

Exercise after breast revision

First,

you should check in and take the advise from your surgeon. he/she knows exactly what was done and will have specific concerns. Since you have gone through a revision I would be particularly cautious and err on the side of being conservative. therefore I would recommend avoiding upper arm or chest training until 3 months after surgery. Good luck.

Activities after surgery

Avoid activities that make the breasts bounce up and down for the first 6 weeks.  In all cases follow the advise of your plastic surgeon.  

What Specific Upper Body Exercises Should I Avoid After a Breast Revision & Capsulorrhaphy

I would avoid anything that flexes the pectoral muscles for 6 months, but best advice will come from your surgeon. 

Specific Upper Body Exercises Should I Avoid After a Breast Revision & Capsulorrhaphy?

Congratulations on having undergone the revisionary breast surgery. Ultimately, only your plastic surgeon should advise you when it comes to returning to specific exercises. If I were you, I would ask for more specific recommendations as opposed to "listen to your body". With these types of cases, I want my patients to AVOID hearing their bodies say "ouch"...

In my opinion, returning to certain activities too soon may increase the risk of recurrence of breast implant displacement/malposition. The type of exercise/activity patients should avoid will depend on exactly what type of capsulorraphy was performed. Therefore, In my practice, I ask patients to avoid upper body weightlifting, stretching, and strenuous activity in general respectively for at least 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. Sometimes, depending on the type of capsulorraphy performed, this time of rest is even longer. For example, for symmastia correction capsulorraphy, I ask patients not to abduct their arms for several months after the procedure. The use of specific supportive garments may also be helpful.

One of the problems associated with this type of revisionary breast surgery: often, patients do not experience much discomfort with this type of surgery. This may lead them to return to activities too soon unless they are aware of the potential problems that may occur.

I hope this helps. Best wishes for outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Patients are allowed to return to full activity four weeks after breast augmentation.

Your surgeon is responsible for dictating the terms of convalescence. In my practice I think patients are healed well enough to resume full activity in about four weeks.