Voluma Uneven and Bumpy: Will it Improve?

Y'day I had Voluma injected with a Canula into my cheeks to enhance the cheek bones and create a lift. Apart from the fact that the area is extremely sore, and warm to the touch/feel, the result is quite uneven and "bumpy" you can clearly see where the filler ends without smooth transition. I want to know whether this is normal for the filler to be bumpy at first (perhaps it's self levelling, or there might be some scar tissue created because of the cannulae used?) How long b4 it improves? Tnx

Voluma Injections Help Lift the Cheeks giving a Smooth and Natural Result

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In the vast majority of patients, you should not feel unevenness or bumps a day after your injections of Voluma. You may have mild swelling and some light massage in encouraged. However, if you have market asymmetry, pain or bumps, you need to contact your injector to discuss your issue as this is atypical. In general, Voluma injections are virtually painless (aside from a small prick of the needle entering the skin - and even this is generally numbed with anesthetic cream or ice prior to injection). Additionally, the Juvederm XC is now mixed pre-packaged with lidocaine with help with ease of injection. While some fillers do swell after they are injected, Voluma has low hydrophilic potential, meaning that it does not absorb fluid and does not swell as much as other fillers. So, usually what you see immediately after you are injection is what your result will look like. If you are still having issues, I would suggest following up with your injector and if you are not satisfied, I would seek out a well qualified injector or board certified plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

Voluma Injections Give the Cheeks a Lift with Smooth and Beautiful results

Voluma is a great injection and you should look beautiful immediately after the injections. If your skin is warm or uneven you should return immediately to your treating physician for examination.  The contours should look even and natural and not as you are describing.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Voluma for the best cosmetic results.

Voluma: uneven and bumpy early after the injection

Swelling and mild lumpiness after dermal filler are normal (although they can be a little bit scary). The first two weeks after the injection, swelling can the result of bruising from the needle or cannula and not necessarily the filler itself.

Unevenness and lumpiness is hard to judge in the first two weeks after the injection. Sometimes the injections created a bruise and you can feel the bruise and not the filler.  Swelling and bruising might be different between both sides of the face. Wait 2 weeks after the injection to determine if you need a touch up

You can apply ice to help speed the recovery (best for the first 2 days after the injection) and take Tylenol to help with the discomfort. Ask your injector if you can massage. I recommend waiting until two days after the injection. After that, I tell my patients it is okay to do gentle massage. The massage will help bruises settle and should not move the filler. 

If you are concerned about an injection, I encourage you to return to your injector for an evaluation in person. Signs that are worrisome are excessive pain, red and hot skin, or a fever. They would suggest an infection. Infections for cheek fillers are very rare.

Voluma should settle into the cheeks and feel just like a part of you.
In a few weeks you should not feel the product there.

Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for cheeks.

If you just had Voluma injected yesterday, it is too soon to expect anything to look perfectly smooth, and what you described sounds like there may be swelling related to the procedure. I would recommend waiting for all the swelling to subside which can take up to 2 weeks, and if it still seems like there are lumps or there is asymmetry you should follow up with your injector. Occasionally the injector may need to massage any lumps, and in the worst case anything that did not settle down and was a lump from product deposition it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Uneven and Bumpy after Voluma

Voluma is a wonderful addition to the cosmetic surgery world. When performed artfully, Voluma can restore youthful volume and contour to the center of the face. After treatment, typically patients feel great with no significant downtime. That being said, there certainly can be some bruising, swelling or "hardness" or "lumpiness" in some areas that are treated.  You are only 1 day after your procedure, and I would expect your soreness to improve entirely.  I typically do have patients perform gentle massage to any areas of concern, perhaps this can modestly assist in the molding/sculpting of the region treated. Over the next several weeks, areas of unevenness that are "bumpy" are likely to improve. Please discuss your concerns with your doctor. I'd also generally recommend receiving cosmetic filler injections only with a board-certified, medical doctor with specific experience in facial plastic surgery. Good luck in your recovery. 

Damon B. Chandler, MD

Harvard-Penn Trained Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma can easily be massaged

Voluma is a malleable filler and the bumps can be massaged out. Even if accidentally injected to superficially- you can push, press, and massage it out. 

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling and Lumpy After Effects

After effects such as lumpiness and swelling following a filler treatment is entirely normal. Most patients will find this a little terrifying, but this is not uncommon. Effects such as these may be experienced within 7 to 14 days after your Voluma injection. Swelling could be due to cannula or needle bruising. It could also be due to the filler itself. However, it should diminish within 24 hours the fastest and up to 5 days the longest.

Lumps and unevenness are harder to judge within 2 weeks after the treatment. They could pretty be normal and settle on their own. For lumps and unevenness, you may need to wait for the 2 weeks to pass before you go to your doctor for a follow up or a checkup.

To help the speedy recovery, you can use icing right after injection. Also, ask your doctor if you can gently massage the injection area. You can also elevate your head when sleeping so that fluids will not pool up.

Voluma will settle in your cheeks in a few days. It would then feel like part of your cheeks in no time. If you are still concerned over these or if they lasted longer than they should, you can go visit your doctor for evaluation. Hope this helps you out!

Voluma in the cheeks

Voluma injections in the cheeks may have some mild tenderness and swelling for a few days after injections, but usually this is minimal. The product does tend to smooth out and even out somewhat over time, but significant asymmetries are unusual unless they are due to injection technique. Also, if the area is tender and warm, there is a concern for potential infection, although this would be uncommon after only one day. Specific concerns should be addresses with your injector, and as always, using an expert injector who is fellowship-trained and board-certified is recommended.

Time Will Tell

Initially you can have some swelling and some bumpiness at the injection sites however this will generally smooth out in 24 to 48 hours. If you have unevenness or bumps after 72 hours I would suggest calling your provider to be evaluated.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for deep fillers of the face temporary lumps

When Voluma is injected there may be temporary swelling and certainly soreness. Usually most of my patients in my NYC practice walk out looking smooth. I feel their contour with my gloved hand after I inject so I don't feel obvious lumps. If there are any visible lumps immediately after filling or if I feel one when I examine their skin I will gently but firmly massage with my gloved hand. 

If after two days there is considerable lumpiness the doctor may be able to inject an enzyme to flatten the lump unless it's a deep swollen bruise which can be addressed in other ways.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon