Voluma Uneven and Bumpy: Will it Improve?

Y'day I had Voluma injected with a Canula into my cheeks to enhance the cheek bones and create a lift. Apart from the fact that the area is extremely sore, and warm to the touch/feel, the result is quite uneven and "bumpy" you can clearly see where the filler ends without smooth transition. I want to know whether this is normal for the filler to be bumpy at first (perhaps it's self levelling, or there might be some scar tissue created because of the cannulae used?) How long b4 it improves? Tnx

Voluma Injections Help Lift the Cheeks giving a Smooth and Natural Result

In the vast majority of patients, you should not feel unevenness or bumps a day after your injections of Voluma. You may have mild swelling and some light massage in encouraged. However, if you have market asymmetry, pain or bumps, you need to contact your injector to discuss your issue as this is atypical. In general, Voluma injections are virtually painless (aside from a small prick of the needle entering the skin - and even this is generally numbed with anesthetic cream or ice prior to injection). Additionally, the Juvederm XC is now mixed pre-packaged with lidocaine with help with ease of injection. While some fillers do swell after they are injected, Voluma has low hydrophilic potential, meaning that it does not absorb fluid and does not swell as much as other fillers. So, usually what you see immediately after you are injection is what your result will look like. If you are still having issues, I would suggest following up with your injector and if you are not satisfied, I would seek out a well qualified injector or board certified plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

Voluma Injections Give the Cheeks a Lift with Smooth and Beautiful results

Voluma is a great injection and you should look beautiful immediately after the injections. If your skin is warm or uneven you should return immediately to your treating physician for examination.  The contours should look even and natural and not as you are describing.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Voluma for the best cosmetic results.

Voluma: uneven and bumpy early after the injection

Swelling and mild lumpiness after dermal filler are normal (although they can be a little bit scary). The first two weeks after the injection, swelling can the result of bruising from the needle or cannula and not necessarily the filler itself.

Unevenness and lumpiness is hard to judge in the first two weeks after the injection. Sometimes the injections created a bruise and you can feel the bruise and not the filler.  Swelling and bruising might be different between both sides of the face. Wait 2 weeks after the injection to determine if you need a touch up

You can apply ice to help speed the recovery (best for the first 2 days after the injection) and take Tylenol to help with the discomfort. Ask your injector if you can massage. I recommend waiting until two days after the injection. After that, I tell my patients it is okay to do gentle massage. The massage will help bruises settle and should not move the filler. 

If you are concerned about an injection, I encourage you to return to your injector for an evaluation in person. Signs that are worrisome are excessive pain, red and hot skin, or a fever. They would suggest an infection. Infections for cheek fillers are very rare.

Voluma should settle into the cheeks and feel just like a part of you.
In a few weeks you should not feel the product there.

Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for cheeks.

If you just had Voluma injected yesterday, it is too soon to expect anything to look perfectly smooth, and what you described sounds like there may be swelling related to the procedure. I would recommend waiting for all the swelling to subside which can take up to 2 weeks, and if it still seems like there are lumps or there is asymmetry you should follow up with your injector. Occasionally the injector may need to massage any lumps, and in the worst case anything that did not settle down and was a lump from product deposition it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma injections

Hi there, any possible swelling or bruising from Voluma takes up to 2-3 weeks to completely resolve, but usually it should not be quite uneven or bumpy. If there is a lot of unevenness, you should definitely send pictures and/or come in for a follow up. If it's just a bit, it is probably a little bruising or swelling that should completely resolve in 2-3 weeks.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Voluma results - Reversible

Voluma results should be immediate. Because it is made with a hyaluronic acid which is a sugar substance found in your skin, the results are reversible with hyaluronidase injections if you don't like them. Give it some time. Other alternatives for enhancing cheek bones and creating a lift is Radiesse, Restylane Lyft, or Sculptra.  To treat lumps and bumps you can also try RF treatments like venus legacy and exilis to break down the swelling.   Best, Dr. Emer

Voluma Uneven

Uneveness after Voluma can be a result of the following factors:

-Deep bruise- Not all bruises are at the surface and this localized swelling can take weeks to dissipate

-Injection technique- Injections of the product can create depositions which can create lumps if not properly transitioned.  Since Voluma is not hydrophilic (does not tend to absorb water), Voluma tends to be a what you see is what you get type of filler.  

Consult your treating physician for the best course of action.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma bumpiness

Dear Me9,Usually the way Voluma looks right after the injection stays pretty true as Voluma doesn't pull in as much water as some of the other hyluronic acid fillers. Warmness and redness is not typical and I would go back to toe injector to make sure you are not showing signs of an infection. Small amount of bumpiness can happen and will resolve but for your description I would recommend going back to your injector.Hope this helps,Dr. Morgan

Morgan Rabach, MD

Thank you for your question.  Fillers are a great tool to augment facial volume loss or help soften facial lines.  Post injection, though, some swelling and mild bruising may occur and is still within the expected normal recovery period.  If it has been two weeks or so and you still see some unevenness or bumpiness, it is best to follow up with your surgeon as he or she may be able to fix any imbalances by either adding more or using a medication to dissolve any unwanted areas.  I hope this helps and best wishes to you.

Natalie Attenello, MD

Can massage bumpy and uneven Voluma

Given only one day post-injection, lumpy bumpiness can still be massaged to help smooth the area.  Usually the injector should massage out the uneven areas for you without you having to do anything except to leave it alone and let the swelling dissipate. It is difficult to determine without examine you to see if "bumpy" areas are actually the intended filling product or tissue swelling from the product.  Usually the filler is injected retrograde as the cannula is withdrawn from the puncture site and sometimes a little product can be left behind too superficially.  If this is the case, I would see your injector about having it massaged out sooner rather than later.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon