Is my Crossbite Too Severe for Invisalign? (photo)

I am seeing my orthodontist this week, I have had braces in the past and now need them again because the lack of improvement they did on my crossbite. My teeth are grinding at night and the enamel on my teeth is suffering, the crossbite being fixed now is crucial. I am older now and I really dread metal brackets again. It seems my bite is more severe than the pictures I've seen from invisalign correcting crossbite online. The photo attached is my bite as of today.

Doctor Answers 3

Crossbite Probelms

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no way invisalign is going to fix your crossbite.  It is hard to fix a crossbite like yours with conventional braces.  You need a lot of expansion on the upper - maybe even surgical assistance in the case.  I suggest you go for many consults and go for you feel who is telling you the truth, not what they think you want to hear. 

Washington Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Severe crossbites may not be correctable with Invisalign or conventional braces.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While it is not possible to know for certain based on just the photos submitted, I suspect that there is an element of your crossbite that is not due to tooth malposition, but rather is a reflection of a difference in upper and lower jaw size and positon. If it is, then correction (in late teens/adulthood) will likely require a combination of orthdontic treatment and jaw surgery. This is complex treatment. I suggest you raise the question of need for surgery with your orthodontist. It is important that you be assured of a successful outcome - particularly since you have undergone orthodontic treatment before. 

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist

Fixing your cross bite with Invisalign

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your cross bite will not be easily fixed by Invisalign alone. I would not even think about Invisalign alone.


To fix you crossbite and keep it fixed your upper arch needs expansion of the BONE- one could argue that you are a candidate for surgical assistance.


If you want to have the most proficient docs eval you and consider Invisalign I would go to an Elite Provider or a Super Elite



Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.