If I don't get a 2nd or 3rd kybella treatment 6 weeks after the other, would it still work?

I read a lot about people that are still sore, tender and numb after 6 weeks, what if i wait months after i feel normal?

Kybella results

Thanks for your question. Kybella is designed to work after the first treatment. Depending on your desired
results, and what the doctor suggests, you should see some result from the first injection and if are happy with them, do not need to return for a second or third. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Waiting months after a Kybella treatment before the next treatment

Thank you for your question elenacc79. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. The pivotal studies demonstrated that improvement is seen after 2-4 treatments done every four weeks. We are now finding that waiting 6-8 weeks allows for the skin to heal better. Theoretically improvement should be seen if intervals are significantly longer, but the results will be seen slower. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

You can wait up to several months in between sessions with no issues.

Although it is recommended to have treatments within a 6-8 weeks, that isn't a steadfast rule.  Many of my patients have waited 6-8 months and had no issues at all.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, it will still work

In my experience, I usually perform treatments 6-8 weeks apart, but you can do them even further apart if you'd like without any decrease in efficacy of the Kybella treatment.  The only downside of performing the treatments months apart is that it will just take you a longer time to achieve your desired result.I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  If timing is an issue for your subsequent treatments you can wait more than 4-6 weeks to obtain your second or third treatment.  If however you are happy with your results following your first session you need not pursue a second or third.  Hope that this helps.

Time between Kybella Treatments

Thank you for your question!  Kybella works by dissolving fat underneath the chin and jawline.  As the fat dissolves, these areas will tighten.  Typically you will need 2-3 treatments for full effect, and these can be spaced at least 6 weeks apart.  If you wait longer than this time period, you shouldn't have any detrimental effects for your 2nd and/or 3rd treatments.  Be sure to discuss your question with your surgeon/injector as well. I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and series of injections

It takes more than one treatment to have the full effect of Kybella.  Generally it takes 2 to 4 treatments. You can definitely wait a little longer between intervals to plan for the injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybells treatment series can be completed over any time frame

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi. Each time you get injected, you will remove some fat-in that sense, Kybella works regardless of retreatment.  However, if you have more fat to remove and you stop at one treatment, you likely will not see much reshaping or improvement.  Your practioner has provided a recommendation, likely of a series, based upon the amount of fat/shaping you need.  Waiting for symptoms to resolve is a personal preference and will have minimal impact on your final outcome-just how long it takes to get there.  Good luck!

Kybella treatment

I usually recommend patients receive a series of Kybella treatments, average 2-4 treatment sessions, spaced 6 weeks apart. However, if you were to wait longer than the 6 weeks, you would still see the results as long as you complete the recommended treatment sessions. On a side note, most patient report less swelling during for treatments 2-4 then they do with the 1st treatment. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yes, waiting longer is acceptable, but not optimal

In my clinical experience and research regarding Kybella, 6 weeks is generally the best interval. This time period allows for all of the fatty tissue to be absorbed into the lymphatic system prior to the next treatment. Think of it this way: once that area begins dealing with the fat and removing it, the immune and cellular systems doing this are going strong. If you wait too long between treatments you are asking the area to start the removal process again from scratch. The deoxycholic acid (Kybella) dissolves the fat cells, but your body removes the fat from the area.

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician