How common is beard hair loss after Kybella? Any preventive measures?

To doctors who've performed Kybella on men: how common is beard hair loss? Anything one can do to prevent it? Would shaving before hand prevent it?

Hair loss after Kybella

Facial hair loss in the submental region after Kybella is not common, but it certainly happens. I have had one case of this in my patients and it was self limiting, with the hair growing back in about 4-6 months. We don't have an exact answer as to why this happens. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss after Kybella

Thank you for your question!  Kybella works by desolving the fat which lies just below the skin, under the chin and jaw line.  This will help to remove fullness and can even tighten the jawline, as well. In my male patients treated with Kybella, I have not seen any hair loss.  However, there have been some reported cases of this.  Be sure to discuss this with your board certified injector, and he/she will explain the risks and benefits of Kybella.  I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella nad hair loss

Thank you for your question Brokemynose99. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. one of the possible side effects of a Kybella treatment is hair loss. This occurs at or near each injection point, so hair is not lost in the entire area. Also this area is where many bearded men shave anyway, so it is usually not a problem. Shaving before a treatment is a good idea because it will allow for a cleaner surface during the treatment, but it will not likely affect hair loss. The pivotal studies listed adverse reactions that occurred in at least 2% of subjects in the study, and hair loss was not listed as one of these adverse effects. So one can assume that hair loss was seen in less than 2% of subjects. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

It is not frequent, but I have seen it in a few male patients

I have seen this happen in two male patients, so it does not happen very frequently, but is something to be aware about. In both patients, the hair did come back after a few months and was not permanent. Unfortunately, there is nothing to my knowledge that will prevent hair loss from occurring. I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella and Hair Loss

I have not seen any hair loss associate with men and Kybella.  My male patients have been particularly happy with Kybella and the great permanent results.  Best, Dr. Green

Hair loss with Kybella?

Hello, and thanks for your question. This is a rare complication that has been reported, though I have not yet seen it. I make certain to place the product in the tissue beneath the skin, which should minimize risk of damage to the hair follicles. I doubt shaving would prevent it. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Beard hair loss was not listed as one of the most seen complications or side effects of Kybella but with enough irritation to the hair follicles some hair loss may be possible.  Hope this helps.

Kybella and beard hair loss

I have not seen this complication yet among my patients and it is rare however it does occur. It most cases the hair will return but may take a few months.

Beard loss after Kybella

This is a very uncommon problem with Kybella and we haven't seen this in our practice. The literature indicates it is generally temporary and will usually resolve in 4-5 months. Common sense would say the risk could be minimized by assuring that the injections are placed well into the subcutaneous fat, where they should be, as the hair bulb is in the dermis - above the fat layer.

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Kybella -- Beard Hair Loss

Most of the time the hair comes back but I have had 5 patients where it has not.  Its not common but will happen if you get very inflammed from the treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.