Can you breastfeed with a silicone rupture? (Photo)

I've had my silicone (under muscle) for three years. I got pregnant last year and now breastfeeding. My left implant looks saggy and I'm worried I have a rupture. I want to breastfeed my baby for one year and I have 6 months to meet that goal. If I do have a rupture, can I continue to breastfeed for six months?

The Need For MRI Problem

Thanks for your question.  Your issue is a classic example of one of the problems with silicone implants, anytime there is a potential concern about one of your implants the recommendation is going to be get an MRI scan to evaluate the implant.  A shape change in your breast does not necessarily mean that the implant has a leak.  Medical-legally getting an MRI scan is what has to be recommended to you.  So the question becomes, just how many MRI scans are you willing to pay for for the rest of your life?  Are you prepared to just get a surveillance MRI scan of your implants every few years, at your expense, just to check their integrity?  If you had a leak in your implants do you trust that no chemicals being released in to your tissues?  You probably need to get a MRI scan and if you have a leak my opinion would be to not breast feed.  Concerns like your case is why I only use saline implants.Good luck, I hope you are not leaking.

Dr. Telepun, MD

Decatur, Alabama

Can you breastfeed with a silicone rupture

I think it is best to not breast feed if you have a ruptured silicone implant. You can obtain an MRI to evaluate the implant for rupture. Just because it has shifted or moved and looks different does not mean 100% that it is ruptured.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Feeding with potentially ruptured implants.

No human device be they artificial joints, pacemakers or defibrillators or eye implants were studied as extensively as breast implants. There were a few studies that showed that no causal relationship between breast implants and autoimmune diseases including one that babies born to nursing women with silicone implants did not have a higher rate of scleroderma, an autoimmune disease. 
The only way to know if your implants leaked is to do a MRI on you. The test will show such a leak and you and your doctor can then best dr use on what would be best for you. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Thank you for your question. There is no definite literature supported answer to your question. If you believe it is ruptured (unlikely) you should be evaluated and addressed. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation. 

Can you breastfeed with a silicone rupture?

Thank you for your question.  There are no studies to quote that give a scientific answer to your question.  Your implants are likely the latest generation, more cohesive silicone implants.  So, if you have a rupture, the silicone should not "leak" and make its way into your breast tissue.  Chances are that your breast looks saggy given your recent pregnancy and breast feeding which stretched your breast skin.  I think it would be safe to continue breast feeding at this point.  The study that would definitively identify a rupture of your implant would be an MRI.  I suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and further discussion.  Hope this helps!