I have a moveable lipoma/episacral lipoma in my lower right back, which is causing a lot of pain: Can it be removed?

Hi I have been suffering from serious lower back pain on the right side for 5 months. A physical therapist I saw found a moveable nodule on my lower back and said it was a 'back mouse' or episacral lipoma. Injection of this with anaesthetic and steroid resolves most of the symptoms temporarily. I think I need it excised. It has not appeared on any imaging however apparently these are quite hard to spot using imaging? I have a surgeon although he is reluctant to do anything without imaging.

Probably - but it's appropriate to make sure you (or, more precisely, your surgeon) knows what it is, to the greatest extent possible, before having it removed.  Lipomas do not normally cause a significant degree of back pain so I'm not sure that that's related.  The lipoma can most likely be removed, depending on exactly where it is (ie, how deep) but that may or may not provide relief for the symptoms you're having.
I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. E

Lipomas in this region can be removed. It is important to obtain imaging though to ensure that this is a lipoma as opposed to some other process occurring along your spine. Ultrasound, MRI or CT scan can often be useful to differentiate exactly what this is. If it is a lipoma, it can usually be removed in the office under local anesthesia. The first concern should be your safety and comfort. Avoiding any complications by knowing exactly what the issue is should be of paramount importance. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Painful lipoma

normaly, lipomas doesn t hurts, sometimes instead lipomas in that areas are other conditions named pilonidal cist and that is really painful and have to me removed.

Pablo Garcia, MD
Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon