I have a mole on scalp. What type of mole is this? Is it okay that it bleeds, and will insurance cover the removal? (photo)

It will bleed if it's accidently combed over with a brush. It appeared a few years ago while I was pregnant. It's in a very inconvenient spot for me. I want to have it removed because it affects how I take care of my hair, I just want to make sure this is seen as needed. Also I would feel better to know it's not cancerous.

Doctor Answers 2

Bleeding Scalp Mole - get a biopsy

It is always advised when a mole changes in size, color, shape, or bleeds to follow up with a trained plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or ENT specialist if above the collar bones as is in your case. A biopsy is often suggested as it is the surest way to know what you are dealing with and if other care is required.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Mole removal

I recommend consultation with a board certified dermatologist who can evaluate the mole. A bleeding mole is an indication for removal. Any mole that is removed should be sent for a pathology interpretation to confirm the mole is benign. Please follow up regarding your bleeding mole.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.