Is an Opthamologist Qualified to Perform the Upper Eyelid Surgery?

I have had the vision test indicating that my vision is greatly impaired by drooping, sagging eyelids. The opthamologist who did the test assured me that he had performed many of the surgeries to correct (remove) the sagging eyelids. Is this wise or should I insist on seeing a plastic surgeon?

Doctor Answers 4

Who can perform Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A well trained opthalmologist can perform Blepharoplasty. An important element in picking your surgeon for your blepharoplasty surgery is to  find a surgeon who has extensive experience in blepharoplasty. Find someone  who you are comfortable with as plastic surgery is so personal. It also helps to view photos of your surgeon's work on other patients to assure that you like their technique and style. Also, be sure that your surgeon is board certified.Good Luck!

In general yes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Blepharoplasty is a common procedure performed by Ophthalmologists. Every surgeons experience is different however so you should ask him/her regarding that.

Oculoplastic surgeons are Ophthalmologists that have had 2 additional years of training in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the eyelids as well brow, and face, but focusing mostly on the eyelids. So that would be your ideal surgeon.

I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Who can perform eyelid surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Ms. Murphy,


I am not an ophthalmologist but I can tell you that an experienced ophthalmologist is perfectly qualified to perform upper eyelid surgery.  Particularly one is fellowship trained as an Oculoplastic surgeon.  Now there is no board certificate for that so don't be persuaded but someone who insists yo have to be a board certified plastic surgeon.  That being said, as things get more complex you want the person who performs a variety of eyelid surgeries. Go with the surgeon who can produce the most evidence of their surgeries and  whom makes you feel the most comfortable.


Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A blepharoplasty can be performed by a well qualified opthamologist or a plastric surgeon.  Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.