What should I do to prepare for a Tummy tuck and lipo?

What should I do in preparation before a tummy tuck/lipo. I have read of many people juice fasting, in this neccasary? Is there anything I can do BEFORE the surgery to make AFTER the surgery easier?

Preparation for tummy tuck

If you have been deemed a good candidate to undergo this procedure then there is really nothing special to do before surgery.  Maintain your current lifestyle and make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet as this will help with healing.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for a Tummy Tuck/Liposuction

If you are a smoker, you will be asked to stop smoking well in advance of surgery. Aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs can cause increased bleeding, so you should avoid taking these medications for a period of time before surgery. We will ask you to stop some medications, supplements and certain vitamins. A complete list will be provided.

Our doctors perform abdominoplasty as an outpatient procedure. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you for at least the next day or two. When abdominoplasty is performed in conjunction with medically necessary procedures such as hysterectomy or hernia repair, a short hospitalization may be required. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Preparing

Just eat a balanced diet, rest and sleep normally before your surgery.  That really should be enough.  Smoking or nicotine containing products need to be avoided before and after surgery.  Fasting wouldn't be recommended as this can cause problems with wound healing.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for Tummy Tuck with Liposuction.

First of all thank you for the question.  There is not a lot that you would need to do prior to surgery. I would recommend that you continue with your regular diet and routine. It is not a good idea to make major changes before surgery such as juicing.   Make sure if you are a smoker that you discontinue smoking 2-4 weeks prior to surgery and after surgery. Do not take any blood thinners or NSAIDS at least 2 weeks prior to surgery.  It's best to pick up ahead of time the supplies you will need post operative.  I usually suggest that my patients come in with the person that will be caring for them prior to surgery to go over what to expect and all after care instructions.  As always, I would suggest following your plastic surgeons after care protocol.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Getting ready for a tummy tuck with liposucition

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck healing.

There is no need for special diets before a tummy tuck or other surgery.
A few hints -
  • plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables and regular exercise
  • no smoking, limited alcohol
  • additional vitamin C may help  healing - take if it doesn't upset your stomach.
  • Check with your surgeon for her/his specific suggestions
  • And in the days before, do everything you can think of to reduce stress after surgery (food shopping, laundry, paying bills - so all you do afterwards is get better.)

Hope you find this answer helpful. Have a great day!

In a healthy patient, no special preparations are needed. I may suggest Arnica Montana for the bruising. 
Best is consult with your surgeon regarding his before/aftercare protocol. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS, FACS

No major changes needed to prepare for tummy tuck

You should continue with a normal healthy diet and activity level before your tummy tuck and lipo, and makw arrangements for your after care and support. It is not a good idea to make major changes such as juicing or fasting as this can throw your metabolism out of balance.

Richard Baxter, MD

The tummy tuck operation is a major operation which often involves a significant physical and EMOTIONAL recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike): a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

I Need To Get Ready For A Tummy Tuck

Dear katelynstephen,  We recommend that you just continue with your regular diet and exercise regime. Fasting in my opinion is not recommended as it may lead to dehydration. Make sure that you have taken enough time off of work or be sure you have sufficient help at home. Your caretakers should be prepared to help you with dressings, drains and medications. These are not difficult tasks but do require a willingness to help. Stop smoking at least 2 weeks before surgery and that you are not on a nicotine patch. Take a regular multi-vitamin but ask your surgeon about other supplements. Do not take any blood thinners or NSAIDS (Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofens, Aspirin etc) at least 2 weeks before surgery. If you are not sure, ask your surgeon. Have a comfortable and easy place to get to for sleep. We find it helpful to have extra pillows for your back and for under your knees. Eat a well balanced diet after surgery as well. Always call your surgeon if you have any other questions. Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Gervais

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for your tummy tuck

Please relax, there is nothing you really need to do in preparation for your TT. I would recommend a healthy diet, a multi vitamin, not to dehydrate yourself the day before surgery, and a good nights rest. If you have done your research, trust your surgeon, and follow their post op protocols, you should do fine.  Best of luck