Mini Facelift at 41, a Good Idea?

I am 41 years old and in excellent shape. I'd like my lower face to look more defined as I am starting to have too much fullness in that area. I had Restylane in my nasolabial folds /mouth area about 1year ago and I can still feel it under my skin.

Would a Mini FaceLift help my jaw line or perhaps filler in my cheeks to lift the area slightly? What I do not want is any more fullness in my lower face. My pic is with no smile so you can see me best. Thanks!

Cheek lift for early aging

I can't see your neck in the photo so I will assume it is fine. A cheek lift or customized minifacelift would elevate the deep tissues vertically back up in your cheeks, make your face look more heart shaped rather than elongated and square. Your jawline wil be more tapered and jowls will be eliminated.

As Dr. Moelleken has said, this is NOT a canned branded mini lift like a Lifestyle lift.

A MiniLift with Liposuction does great for fullness/sagging in the jawline/neck areas in 40 yr olds.

The fullness of the jowls/jawline does great with just liposuction alone for $2500 on special. But if there is sagging as well, then a minilift with liposuction is a great procedure with dramatic results for $6,000-8500 and can all be done safely and easily under local anesthesia. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

What is the Best Age for a Facelift

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.
Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.
Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for Lite Lift™ surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke.

Mini Facelift Candidates

Patients who are in good overall health and don’t have extensive skin laxity in the face and neck are good candidates for a mini facelift. A mini facelift, or a rapid recover lift as I call it in my practice, is a minimally-invasive procedure that involves giving a lift to the lower third of the face and neck. This procedure is unique in its flexibility and can be specifically tailored to a patient’s problem areas such as the neck, jowls, or mid-face through smaller, hidden incisions. Patients experiencing minimal facial aging and sagging may find the mini facelift ideal as it is able to restore a youthful appearance to their face and generally requires a shorter recovery time than a comprehensive facelift.

Mini lift - needed at age 40

A mini lift would enhance your beauty considerably.  Is it time? - a question that only you can answer.   If your appearance is distracting to you and there is an easy, safe and effective fix then by all means you should do it.  Consider the alternatives however which might satisfy you and buy you several years.  For instance revolumization of the cheek area with Voluma or Sculptra could give you a more youthful contour.   Although the picture does not depict your neck very well, if there is slight laxity there then a Thermitight neck tightening which has almost scars, minimal recovery and minimal anesthesia need might satisfy you. You should consult a competent plastic surgeon who has a variety of options that he/she might recommend.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

age 41 mini lift candidate

With only one limited photograph, it is for difficult to give  an honest opinion as to whether or not  a mini lift is needed. A mini lift is a limited procedure that lifts the jowls  through some incisions in front and behind the ears.  It does not address any neck laxity issues or fatty deposits in the neck either.  For many examples of facelifts, please see the link below

Ulthera vs. a mini facelift in Los Angeles

One option to a mini facelift is a procedure known as Ulthera, which can tighten the neck and face without surgery and incisions. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Buccal Fat Resection May Be Alternative to Mini Lift

Thank you for your question.  I suggest you consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for an examination and opinion.

It is impossible to tell from your photographs what would be the best procedure for you.  However if your examination shows a significant buccal fat pad in the cheek, buccal fat pad resection can thin the mid face or cheek region and create a mild depression beneath your cheekbones.

If however the  fullness is limited to the jawline in the jowl area, a mini lift is a better option.

Mini Facelift can help - it needs to be done properly though

Hi Kellyfish,

You certainly have early signs of aging and "fullness" at your lower face / jaw line and given your young age a Mini Facelift can certainly be of help to you.

It is important that your surgeon customizes your procedure so it is effective and natural and not overdone and strange looking. Also of key importance is that they address the SMAS (layer of muscle and tissue beneath the skin) in a proper way to ensure long lasting results.

Kamran Jafri, MD

Mini Facelift at Age 41

Age is less important than the amount of facial aging. It appears that a mini facelift with underlying SMAS elevation will improve your jawline and minimize any early jowling. Adjunctive procedures such as fat augmentation or the injection of fillers can be used to refine the facial rejuvenation.