How can I reduce swelling after getting Kybella?

I got Kybella May 9th. My chin was swollen and I have the "bullfrog" look on my neck. I put the gel and kept ice packs on it like my instructions said. Today it is still swollen but you can tell it's going down. I was wondering if there was something I could do to help the swelling. Thanks!

Reducing swelling after Kybella

At 2 weeks you should be over the worst of it.  I have some patients that take 3-4 weeks to get back to where they started.  The swelling is due to the inflammation as the Kybella works to reduce your fat.  At this point there is not much to reduce the swelling faster- some patients might wear a chin strap.

When you go in for your next treatment, try Cetirizine (Brand name Zyrtex) which is an over the counter antihistamine.  I have my patients take one the day before , the day of and the day after.  This might help give you less swelling.  Hope this helps!  And get ready, because now that the swelling is nearly over you will start to see the fat reduction and tightening as the area starts to shrink. 

Reducing swelling post Kybella

For my patients who experience above average swelling following their Kybella treatment, I recommend ice, mild compression and elevating the head. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Swelling from Kybella

It is normal to have quite a bit of swelling following a treatment of Kybella. Minor bruising or slight swelling may occur in the injection site, but will fade in about 3 days. Ice and compression are the best treatment for the swelling. Your swelling will continue to decrease every day.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Decreasing swelling after Kybella

Swelling usually will last about 4-5 days, improving each day. I don't think there is one specific thing that makes the swelling go down faster. Ice packs, chin straps, etc. all can potentially help. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling from Kybella

Thank you for question. Swelling after Kybella treatment is completely normal. Swelling can last anywhere from a few days to as much as two weeks. Ice and compression are the best treatment for the swelling. Your swelling will continue to decrease everyday.

Kybella Swelling

Thank you for your question. It is normal to have quite a bit of swelling following a treatment of Kybella. The swelling is also dose dependant, so the more vials you do - the more swelling you will have. You actually want that inflammatory response! Definitely follow up with your plastic surgeon though.

Kian J. Samimi, MD, FACS

Swelling after Kybella

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns with us. We use lymphatic massage, the Venus Viva, icing and compression to help manage the swelling after Kyvella of treatments.  

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Swelling can be improved with venus legacy and lymphatic massage.  I suggest you see an expert. I find that ultrasound does very little. Best, Dr. Emer.

The swelling is normal and varies as to how long it lasts. At this point, you could use a chin strap at night which may help the swelling resolve a little sooner, but nothing except time will make it completely go away.

Hello Bwillis92,

The swelling with Kybella is a good sign it will work for you.  The bull frog look is usually gone within a few days but in some patients it can take a few weeks (this is not common).  The good news is the greater the swelling the better the result is going to be.  There are some treatments  that can be used to help with the swelling available via prescription, which your injector can discuss with you if the swelling is a problem.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon