Kybella didn't work. What other options do I have for a chin with little fat but weird slope/ no definition? (Photo)

What if Kybella doesn't work for me? What other options do I have? Is he correct am I doomed with an ugly lack of chin for the rest of my life? My surgeon said there's nothing really to do considering I'm still young and there might be no fat to get rid of. He said I could get filler to build my jaw line up but I don't want to do that. I'm not overweight. 5'8 130 athletic build. My neck makes me look like I'm overweight. Genetic double chin/ lack of defined jaw (thanks dad)

Kybella sessions and alternatives.

Thank you for your question. Most patients require between 2-4 sessions of Kybella for optimal results. Once you have had those sessions and you still feel your chin area is still not as defined as you would like it, an alternative would be SmartLipo. SmartLipo is a laser-assisted liposuction procedure that is great for contouring the jawline with 1 treatment. If you are interested, schedule a full in-person consultation with a qualified doctor.

Dont' give up yet!

At first blush, I think you are an ideal patient for some Kybella - you have a relatively little amount of fat, and your skin appears tight. I agree with the others. Kybella will destroy fat if its 'pinchable' (ie if its there...). Your physician on an examination will best determine if do indeed have enough 'pinchable' fat, but by the photo you are young enough not to have loose skin and so any 'slope' as you describe is likely some additional fat that has yet to reduce.  Perhaps you were not dosed enough each session (ie more kybella could have been injected each session?), or you can receive more injection sessions (at least 2 session are usually needed, and up to 4 or more cycles in some patients) for optimal results, or perhaps more time needs to pass (we usually wait at least 2 months to judge whether a patient is complete with his or her treatment).  Best of luck, Doc Adam

Adam M. Rotunda, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella didn't work. What other options do I have for a chin with little fat but weird slope/ no definition?

Hello Jacki43228,

Assuming you do have fat in that area, Kybella will work.  It may  just take more injections.  It usually takes at least 2 and up to 4 treatments to get the result you want.  A small chin implant may also improve the appearance of the neck by effectively pulling the extra skin there forward (but you may not be a candidate for this based on your photo).  As far as the slope there is a bone that is in the neck that defines where the neck angle will be.  If you have one that is naturally low then there isn't much you can do to improve the appearance.  I'd recommend you get a second consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

I hope this helps and good luck.   

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Fat under the Chin

Kybella is always effective but it can take multiple treatments to have the expected result.  I often combine Kybella with Cool-mini if there is a broad area of fat.  Thermage will help a great deal in tightening the skin under the chin as well.  Best, Dr. Green

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

In my practice we do a significant amount of neck liposuction and thermiRF for younger patients. kybella always works, it just takes a number of treatments in certain people or more dosing.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Double chin options

Thank you for this excellent question. I am excited that we have three options on the market now and I expect many patients will be using one or all three treatment modalities. The Coolsculpting mini will get a broad reduction of the submental fat but has a little more difficult to customize the procedure as there is only one applicator size. Kybella allow for a customized treatment for every patient based on their physical exam. The Profound SubQ allows for some tightening of the neck tissue in addition to fat reduction.
A physical exam would help assess which of the options are going to be the best for you.
 I would visit a plastic surgery a practice that offers multitude of non-surgical options and who can also discuss with you the surgical options.

You appear to be a great candidate for Kybella.  If you did not see results you possibly did not have enough product injected into the area or you may need additional treatments. Results can take up to 6 weeks. Each patient varies to how many treatments they need and how many vials are needed per treatment.For best results it is usually between 2-3 treatments. You do have other options such as Refirme skin tightening which may help define the area.

Options for submental fullness and laxity

Dear jackie43228:

Kybella does tighten the skin somewhat as it eliminates fat cells. Assuming your physician has evaluated you fully and you truly do not have subcutaneous fat (which I mention because in your photo it appears as though you may have subcutaneous fat), you could consider one Ultherapy session or multiple radiofrequency sessions with Pellevé. Either would be very effective.  

Dr. Clark 

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

How many treatments did  ou have and how long has it been since your last one. We have been seeing improvement for upto 2-3 months after the last treatment. You could also consider some of the radio frequency devices for skin tightening.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Contour

You might consider trying other non-operative skin tightening treatments like Exilis radio frequency or SkinTyte II which will stimulate collagen remodeling and tighten the tissue.