How long to see Kybella results?

I had a very small amount of under chin fat injected with Kybella 6 weeks ago. It became very swollen after and stayed swollen for about 3 weeks (bullfrog style.) Now that swelling has gone down, but the chin looks the same as it did before injections. Is it possible the doctor did not inject enough to do anything? How long does it take to see the final results?

At least two treatments will noticeable Kybella results

Patients don't usually see noticeable results till after their second treatment. I never create the expectation that you will see something after one treatment with my patients. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to see Kybella results?

After 6 weeks you are now seeing your results from your first injection. If your appearance is unchanged you either need more, or you were not a good candidate for Kybella to begin with. 

See my video. Most patients have 2-4 sessions separated by 4-6 weeks. This should have been discussed with you at your initial consultation.

Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to see Kybella results?

As in the Allergen training and brochure, KyBella therapy sessions are 2 to 4 times every 6 weeks. Swelling can last 3 to 6 weeks after each sessions. Final results take 12 to 18 weeks to see. Average fee spent is $3,000+. If this was not explained before the initial session than you should discuss with your injecting doctor. Informed consents are paramount in any treatments!

Kybella results

I always tell my patients that it will take between 2-4 Kybella treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart in order to see their final results. My guess is that need a second treatment. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella results.

I find that it takes may take 4 weeks to get back to where you started, but then you should see an improvement as the fat goes away over week 4-8.  Multiple treatments are typically needed (most of my patients do 2-4) and each treatment helps a little.  A common problem though is seeing the gradual improvement when you look in the mirror each day- I would return to see your doctor at 8 weeks and have him take after photos and compare to the before.  The results vary patient to patient, but the majority of patients will see an improvement after each injection.  You might be surprised that the improvement is more than you thought when you look at those photos. Good Luck!

Jonathan Hall, MD

How long to see Kybella results?

If you had that amount of swelling then your doctor probably injected the right amount. Most people require 2 treatments 4-6 weeks apart to get good results from it so wait until at least 4 weeks after your second treatment before judging. Some people may need a third or fourth treatment depending on how much submental fat they started with. Hope that helps.

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Will a neck lift and liposuction define the jawline (enhance face shape, chin)?

Hello Anna B.,

When it comes to Kybella it is important to realize it takes at least 2 and up to 4 treatments spaced 6 weeks apart.  The number of vials used is based on your anatomy so usually the dose to use is apparent based on the measurements taken.  It would be unlikely you were under dosed.  The original evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate for Kybella is also important, as it is used to treat the pre platysmal submental fat.  

I would recommend you follow up with your injector to evaluate your initial response and likely schedule your future treatments.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

I have had very good results with our Kybella injections (note, I was skeptical when they came to me to be one of the first injectors in Seattle/the Pacific Northwest).

In general, we have seen swelling last anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. In some patients, it may even last 4 - 6 weeks. We space our injections approximately 6 weeks apart, and always tell patients that it will likely take more than one treatment (2 - 4).

The "bullfrog" swelling is typical. Tenderness, redness, and minor bruising can also occur. Lumpy texture is also normal following a treatment. With Kybella injections in the submental (under chin) area, expect mild to medium burning to start a few minutes after the first injection site. It seems to be very tolerable.

At 6 weeks, you may still have residual swelling. And, remember that, even with a small amount of fat there, it still may take more than one treatment. We usually see improvement after the first treatment, however, so check with your physician that performed the injections. The amount injected is related to the result, however, this amount is very "standardized" by the company, so all of the doctors should be injecting approximately the same amount per area.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

Hi Anna B.,

Thank you for your question.  Please note that before and after pictures would really help us understand what is going on.  I usually recommend patients give it a full 12 weeks to see the final result, but should be noticeable by 6 weeks.  Most patients require at least 2 treatments, but can take as many as 4 treatments.  I would recommend you review your photos with the doctor and see if additional treatments would be necessary.  The fact that you swelled, means that the product did have an effect.  It would be unusual to have no response, since the method of injecting and volume used is standardized.

Hope that helps.

Dr. B

Kybella results

Thank you for your question. It’s only been 3 weeks post treatment so it’s possible you still need to wait a few more weeks to see the full results. I tell my patients that they can continue to see results 6 weeks later and optimal results up to 3 months later. Additionally most patients need about 2-4 sessions of Kybella. Make sure to speak with your doctor about your treatment plan.

Bruce E. Katz, MD