Botox to prevent future wrinkles? (photos)

does it? does it promote production of elastin/collagen or does it ONLY treat wrinkles that are already there? mid 20s asian, i have one fine line under my eyes and nasoliabal folds that are visible under certain lights. I do like a firmer appearance. i dont have lines on forehead but i do like the "shiny look" that one sometimes get from botox. not the scary frozen look but i like some smoothness. should i wait till i actually get visible lines? or is filler better if i want elastin?

No Wrinkles - No Botox

Preventative skin care is great. Injecting Botox where wrinkles don't exist is not great. Not everyone gets wrinkles in the same place. Ask enough people and someone will surely take your money.  Instead, opt for good skin care to maintain a good complexion and a healthy glow.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Botox/Dysport Wrinkle Prevention

Hi:  

Either Botox and Dysport can be used to create the shinny forehead you desire without looking frozen.  By temporarily relaxing the muscles that create wrinkles, it will allow your body's own natural production of collagen and elastin to build up in the wrinkle area without constantly being squeezed out when muscle moves.   Thus when the effect of 
Botox/Dysport wears out, the wrinkles are significantly reduced. 

As for nasal labial line,  best resolved with fillers.  For Asian patient, I get better result when filler is placed into the cheeks for a lift.  Gives Asian face a more three dimensional look and decrease appearance of nasal labial fold. 

Reshaping of lower face from round to oval shape is also very popular among Asian patients using Botox/Dysport. 

For lines under eye, please go to expert injector who is comfortable treating with either 
Botox/Dysport or filler.  It will depend on the location and depth of line. 

Botox to prevent wrinkles:

Many of our wrinkles are caused by the contraction of our muscles (for example forehead lines, smile lines or crows feet, frowning lines, lines around the lips). There is no doubt that by keeping those muscles relaxed with Botox will cut down significantly on the formation of those wrinkles. Once these wrinkles start forming, the use of Botox on a consistent basis (every 3 months) will allow a slow elimination of those wrinkles.

Normand Miller, MD
New Hampshire Vascular Surgeon

BOTOX Can Delay Onset of Wrinkles

This has become a common question. I usually use BOTOX (and a similar treatment called Dysport) to reduce existing wrinkles caused by the repeated movements of small muscles as we change expressions throughout the day. Preventive treatments, however, are becoming more popular — especially for patients in their mid- to late-20s — who want to delay the onset of wrinkles. These treatments work by temporarily immobilizing muscles, so the dynamic wrinkles that develop from repeated muscle movement won't form as quickly. They do not encourage the growth of collagen or elastin. When treated by an experienced, trained injector, you can get excellent, customized results from BOTOX for both prevention and treatment. I normally recommend using fillers to treat nasolabial folds and other lines that aren't caused by repeated muscle movements. Hope this helps!

Mark E. Freeman, MD
Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

Preventative #neuromodulators, like #Botox, are a good idea for preventing #wrinkles.

Neither filler nor Botox will actually help to promote the elastin production in your skin. However, if wrinkling is what concerns you, it seems like Botox would be an excellent treatment for you.

Preventative Botox would relax your existing fine lines and actually help to stop them from continuing to develop. Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon for a personalized consultation regarding your best injectable regimen.

Botox to prevent future wrinkles?

In young people with tight skin in the under eye area, it is ok to use small doses of Botox Cosmetic® or Xeomin® to relax under eye lines. However, in most adults there is some skin laxity or looseness in the under eye area. If Botox Cosmetic® or Xeomin® is injected there into loose skin, it will cause it to droop even further, creating a "bag-like" appearance under the eyes So in these patients I advocate using a light resurfacing laser like the erbium Fraxel® to erase under eye lines AND tighten mildly lax skin.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox to prevent future wrinkles?

Thank you for your question. You can use Botox to prevent fine lines from forming. Speak with an expert injector about small amounts of Botox.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox candidate

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos and concerns with us. Botox and fillers can be used to help with your concerns. Botox can be used to help soften dynamic wrinkles.  Fillers can be used to help regions like the nasolabial fold. I would recommend that you visit with the board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to develop an appropriate treatment plan for you.

Botox to prevent future wrinkles?

Hi, I have used Botox for over 30 years and yes it can be used to soften as well as prevent wrinkles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front). Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Botox prevention of wrinkles

Early treatment with Botox or other neuromodulators can prevent the development of wrinkles.  Movement wrinkles of the face occur as a result of repetitive damage to the collagen and elastin fibers through muscle contraction.  Prevention of creasing in the skin can stave off this process.   Pairing this with a good topical regimen can lead to great results over time.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon