Are there any doctors with PRP breast injections experiences out there? What are your thoughts?

Do the injections need to be repeated several times to "build" off of new tissue? Like adding another block to the stack so to speak? Are there last results as far as upper pole fullness? My husband and I have concerns with implants and maintenance so hoping that this is a safe option to consider.
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

PRP & Breasts

So far, there is no evidence that PRP injections stimulate breast tissue growth. There is really no way to increase breast volume naturally. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

There are many gimmicks in medicine that people fall for because they are looking for a quick fix.  Although there have been some satisfactory results with PRP in orthopedic trauma, as far as I know there are no controlled studies to show the effectiveness of PRP in different areas of cosmetic surgery.  There are many individuals who claim that PRP is good for facial rejuvenation, hair growth, and in the case of your question, breast enlargement.  However, so far these are only individual claims and the proof is yet to be shown.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

PRP breast injections.

Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections are claimed to stimulate the growth of tissue in the area into which it is injected. Since it is derived from your own blood, there are no tissue "rejection" concerns or worries about the need for immunosuppressive drugs.

However, there is no credible scientific evidence that normal breast tissue growth can be stimulated in this way, or that breast cancer will NOT be stimulated. So much for "natural."

Even fat grafts or fat-derived "stem cells" have not yet been proven to be safe for injection into breasts, despite many plastic surgeons (and lots of wanna-be "cosmetic surgeons" who are not fully trained and ABPS-certified plastic surgeons) practicing this technique. Many, many questions still need to be answered, IMHO, about fat grafting into breasts (including the fact that about half of the injected fat dies and can turn into scars, lumps, or calcifications that interfere with mammography.)

There is a reason that breast implants remain the best and most time-tested medical devices in the entire marketplace--they have been exhaustively studied, and all lay press and media fueled anxieties aside, silicone and saline breast implants are safe, and your best option for breast augmentation. They require NO "maintenance, do NOT "wear out" and need replacement in ten years, and do NOT require periodic MRI scans as the FDA "recommends." This recommendation is based on previous-generation silicone implants that COULD leak a had a high(er) rupture rate--present-generation cohesive silicone implants do NOT leak, and are so extraordinarily strong they rarely rupture (when they do, I believe this is due to surgeon mishandling or damage, NOT manufacturer defect.) Properly-overfilled saline implants have a low leak rate, but this is not zero, and these implants can require replacement in a percentage of cases, one reason that silicone (newest generation of cohesive) implants are the most commonly used ones worldwide, not just here in the US.

Lastly, "upper pole fullness" is not something achieved by PRP, fat grafting, or even properly-performed breast implants--upper pole fullness is the province of a good push-up bra, and having adequate breast volume (size) to have something to actually push up. That full upper pole look you seem to be desirous of is too-often caused by capsular contracture tightening around implants, and this yields hard, unnatural, and sometime painful breasts. You may like the "look," but you  (and your partner) will definitely NOT like the "croquet ball in the vest pocket" feel! Get soft breasts and move them any way you wish, but don't wish for capsular contracture!

If true safety is what you and your husband seek, then breast implants are your BEST answer. Honest. If you still don't believe me, you need more information, as I've spent a lifetime of medical education and a full career studying this, not just spare-time online research. Please read my Comprehensive Guide to Breast Augmentation for more information by clicking on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast platelet rich plasma

Breast platelet rich plasma is an interesting concept. We use platelet rich plasma in our practice using the true PRP machine. My experience is that it works great as a enhancer for filler and fat but would not work well as  an isolated agent for breast enhancement. Just as fat is somewhat unpredictable and has issues with reliability, implants become the best answer and we are very good at producing successful results with the use of computer imagery and preoperative evaluation. 

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  PRP breast injections use a patient's own blood that is then centrifuged to collect the platelet rich plasma.  This also contains stem cells of the body that are in theory assisting with faster healing and regrowth of tissues. Unfortunately there is no scientific research that substantiates their effectiveness.  To date, the most safe and reliable way to increase breast size is through the use of fat grafting or the use of implants.  Hope that this helps.

PRP with fat grafting

I've used lots of PRP with small volumes of fat grafting. It usually takes about 1/10 of the volume of fat grafts of PRP in order to have the fat grafts that are likely to survive. Since it would take at least 300 mL of fat per side to augment a breast that it would be noticeable, lots of blood would need to be spun to have enough PRP to make it matter. When we are better able to do stem cells, that may be the better option rather than PRP. First the oncologic considerations of both substances would need to be studied in the female breast. In my opinion it's not ready for prime time just yet. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

PRP injections to the breast.

If I understand your question you're talking about injection of a blood derivative into the tissues of the breast. I haven't heard of this. I doubt it would be effective.