Can propylene glycol (in Minoxidil) damage my brain when applied to my scalp?

I understand that propylene glycol is a toxic chemical. 

Can propylene glycol (in Minoxidil) damage my brain when applied to my scalp

The propylene glycol (in Minoxidil) is harmless to most people if they are not allergic as most problems are topical and do not go to the brain

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil

Minoxidil is topical, there are quite few barriers to get through before a topical medication reaches the brain.  Most people tolerate Minoxidil quite well.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Propylene glycol

as it is applied topically it will have no affect on your brain. it can cause some redness and irritation to the scalp where it applied.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Propylene glycol

The amount of propylene glycol in minoxidil will not damage the brain. It can sometimes irritate the skin. It does not damage the brain.

Propylene glycol, damage brain

The propylene glycol (in Minoxidil) may cause allery to your skin but does not any affect on your brain .

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Can propylene glycol in Minoxidil do damage?

You should not have an negative effects from the propylene glycol in Minoxidil.  However, if your have sensitivity to the product, many patients have success with a minoxidil foam.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil

I am not aware of any studies that indicate that propylene glycol has any negative effects on the brain.  I recommend that you continue to see your physician on the best course of treatment for your hair loss.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss Treatment Basics--Minoxidil with Progesterone and PRP

No, it won't damage your brain. I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your condition and consider the best treatment options. Minoxidil works best in combination with other non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer