Recent Mommy Makeover, should Tummy Tuck incision be covered, or uncovered? (photo)

I'm on my 7th day post op my TT is incision is uncovered but I see most people have it covered, I called my drs office and they said his approach is an uncovered incision. yesterday incision felt in some parts a bit more than warm and a little painful. I called them again and they said its normal. I covered it when I took my first shower very well. Should I be worried? what is really the difference of covering it or not?

Need to cover tummy tuck incision?

There is a range of wound care practice after surgery.  In my practice the wound is kept covered until there are no draining or open areas, after which time a dressing can still be worn for comfort if the patient wishes.  Most incisions are covered with steri-strips or occasionally with tissue adhesive for 1-2 weeks so even after the dressing is removed there is some incision protection.  

Wound care after tummy tuck

I uncover the wounds the first day after tummy tuck, but there are steri strips in place until 5 days.  After that, it is completely uncovered. You should absolutely not be covering it to shower.  The surface of the wound needs to be cleaned.

Uncovered incision

Please follow your surgeon's advice about wound care and dressings. Every surgeon has his/her own protocol based upon types of sutures, glue, and tapes used.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Recent Mommy Makeover, should Tummy Tuck incision be covered, or uncovered?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure; based on your photograph,  I anticipate that you should have a very nice outcome with the procedure. You will find that every practice has a different “protocol” when it comes to incision line care after tummy tuck surgery. Ask your plastic surgeon if he/she recommends the use of tape and/or silicone-based products, such as sheeting or gel. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Mommy Makeover Questions . . .

Nice result! Every surgeon is different. I personally use paper tape to help protect the skin edges from catching on the garment. Your surgeon may have used Dermabond, which does not require any cover. Best to stay with what they instruct and you will do fine.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Recent Mommy Makeover Questions

In my patients, having the incision uncovered is OK at seven days.  I'll let the incision be uncovered as early as 48 hours after surgery.  There is good data to suggest that there really is not an increased risk of infection after 48 hours if the wound id uncovered.  The warmth of your incision is just normal part of the increased metabolism of healing in this area, as well.  Your results look very good at this point, in my opinion!

Scar management after tummy tuck

We all have our own recommendations depending upon what sutures were used and other things. I usually recommend taping for 6 weeks, but I presume you looked at your surgeon's before and after photos and found the scars acceptable so there would be no reason not to follow his or her advice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Should Tummy Tuck Incision be Covered or Uncovered

It depends on the surgical technique applied during your procedure and your plastic surgeon's preference. I suggest you contact your surgeon or their medical staff and further inquire. At any time, you have any concerns about your healing or recovery, it's best to contact your plastic surgeon  sooner than later,  to prevent any possible infections or #healing complications.

Listen to surgeon's advice

Incision care is really a surgeon-specific thing. Therefore, if your surgeon recommends that you leave your incision uncovered, it best to follow their advice.

However, please monitor your incision closely. If the warmth is accompanied by discharge or redness, please have your surgeon see it.

Ronald Levine, MD

You seem to be healing well so far. Follow your surgeons instructions as everyone has different post operative instructions and their own reasons for them. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon