Is there anything that can be done to lessen the shortness of breath that may come with breast lift an implants?

I'm going to be getting a breast lift with implants, if I get shortness of breath I catch anxiety attacks, I've heard some women say with their surgery they experienced shortness of breath, will the muscle relaxers help? Is there a way that I can pay extra for the numbing tubes or shot they put in the breast after surgery?

Worried about shortness of breath

Hello, there are many ways to handle the muscular tightness and pains that occur after surgery including oral medications, injections or continuous infusions of anesthetic medication into the breasts, and other measures like cool compresses, gentle massage and stretching.  You can speak to your surgeon about their postoperative management of pain and muscle tightness.

Shortness of breath

I do not think that my patients experience shortness of breath after breast surgery. Yes, they experience some chest pain but it does not usually impact their breathing.

Shortness of breath and anxiety

This is something to involve your pulmonologist in discussing.  I have not observed shortness of breath in my augment patients. A muscle relaxant may be considered as well as nerve blocks during surgery to get you over the first couple of days.

Exparel

is the long acting local anesthetic you are referring to, NOT all PS use it or have ever even used it. That is something you will need to ask of your surgeon. This will take away the pain for up to 3 days, but it does not help with the muscle spasms. Many surgeons prescribe muscle relaxants to assist with this problem. Ask your operating surgeons about these options.