I had liposuction and my skin is extremely itchy, I was told that diaper rash cream helps.. Any recommendations on how to help?

Liposuction - how to help itchy skin

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• The itching can be from residual surgical soap (if surgery was a day ago or so)
  • or from the garment, tape or the liposuction itself.
  • I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon -
  • If the problem is the garment, you may need to wear cotton between your skin and the garment.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Itchy skin after liposuction..

Thank you for your inquiry. It does help, however you would need to apply a moisturizer lotion to hydrate your skin, after a lipo your skin becomes dry and that is why you are itchy. If your doctor perhaps has something that can help, I suggest my patients a Lipo body lube, its like a gel that contains árnica, aloe vera, vitamin K. Best of luck. 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon