Is using foam under compression garments after lipo absolutely necessary?

Is using foam under compression garments after lipo absolutely necessary? Does it actually help at all? If so, how long should it be worn? Going for lipo to abdomen, flanks, hips, with mini tuck in 2 weeks. (Not that it's relative but also a divot bbl and BA replacement)

Foam Pads with Compression Garments after Liposuction

Foam pads placed inside compression garments after liposuction serve one main purpose.  The prevent linear depressed lines/grooves that might form where seams in the compression garments or binder occasionally press inward when you sit or bend in certain directions.  They are not necessary but can be helpful.

Plastic Surgeon's Choice

Whether or not to use foam or even compression garment is the physician's choice.  I use it but some of my colleagues don't even use compression garments.  Of note, if you are having your surgery done in the office remember that Florida Board of Medicine rules prohibit removing more than 1000 cc's of fat when combining it with other procedures like a mini-tummy tuck or implant exchange.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Liposuction - foam or not foam afterwards

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• Foam truly decreases bruising but in my area is hard to find or too expensive to use.
  • Usually one only needs it for 3 - 5 days.
  • After that, a garment is usually worn for 4 - 6 weeks, but check with your surgeon - one doesn't want pressure over the BBL
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Foam after lipo

Hello dear, thanks for your post. After your surgery, it is better to use compression under your faja for at least 3 weeks, and then switch to a tighten garment. The one that is going to make your curves.

Use compression on your lower back, where the liquid can accumulate because of liposuction, also on your sides, where we can be very swollen. On your upper and lower abdomen it is important to apply compression too, it will help you to drain better and faster.

You can use: Epi-Foams, Feminine Pads, surgical board and anything soft you can put to help you to reduce swelling!

But remember to always ask to your PS. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Foam provides an even surface to avoid irregularities that can develop from garments that fold against your skin. They are typically used only in the first 1-2 week period and then the garment alone can be used after this.  They are most helpful in the anterior abdomen.  

Foam under compression garments after liposuction

Using foam under compression garments has been controversial at times in the field.  Some surgeons still prefer to use it; however, it is not a necessity by any means.  Every physician has a different technique and different recommendations about post-op care; there is no right or wrong answer.  The most important factor is choosing a physician that has experience in the procedure.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

It is your chosen operative surgeon's decision on use of foam under garments!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Liposuction compression garments

Foam underneath the garments is not absolutely necessary, but I do use it from time to time to help with proper compression.