Is combining Hysterectomy and a Mommy Makeover safe?

I have been wanting to get a Tummy Tuck with lipo and a breast lift (mommy makeover) done for sometime, and now that I am ready to start the process I find out I need to have a Hysterectomy due to fibroids. Can these be done together? If not which one should I do first and how long do I have to wait from one surgery to the other? Thanks in advance!

Is a Mommy Makeover with Hysterectomy Safe?

The safety of combination surgeries depends on the patient's health as well as the anticipated duration of the surgery. Ask both surgeons what they recommend for you.

Click on the link below to see why the duration of the surgery is an important factor.

All the best.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

In general, combining these procedures is safe.  The final decision would be based on the medical history of the patient.  Difficulty of the hysterectomy in the magnitude of the elective cosmetic cases will decide whether or not you are a good candidate.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Aesthetic surgery and hysterectomy can be performed together in selected patients.

The general answer is yes but specific to you it's impossible to say. Difficulty of the hysterectomy in the magnitude of the elective cosmetic cases will decide whether or not you are a good candidate.

Hysterectomy With a Mommy Makeover

Combined operations in general have a higher #complication rate and its difficult to determine what the possible complication rate can be.  That being said, some doctors are not always in agreement to #combine #gynecology and #cosmetic procedures together in one surgery time.

Also, timing can be difficult for the both doctors. Also, the hospital or surgery center fees may be higher for the cosmetic portion as the gynecology procedure is frequently an insured expense while the facility may not  offer cosmetic cash discounts as some do. 

All in all, combining these procedures is a possibility but all depends on the patient and both doctors' opinion.

Mommy makeover and hysterectomy

Thank you for your question. A mommy makeover is a great procedures to combine with a hysterectomy as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy and addresses the concerns with fibroids. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital. I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail and would recommend combining the procedure as you will only have one recovery.  I would also ensure that your gynecologist and plastic surgeon discuss your specific situation together to ensure that it can be done safely.

Combining procedures

Combining these procedures is possible and safe.  However, this will probably mean a hospital stay, which may increase your cost.  Hysterectomies can be done a variety of methods, not necessarily with an incision through the abdomen.  If this is not the case, you may want to consider have the procedures in two separate surgical sessions.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Combining elective and therapeutic procedures

While there is literature to support the safety of this combination, each case must be carefully evaluated by the surgeons and anesthesiologist. We would look at your BMI, other health issues, age, smoking history among other things.  Will the hysterectomy be done through the abdominal surgical field or from the vagina? How experienced are the surgeons involved and their level of confidence in doing these together. If you decide to do these separately the therapeutic procedure would take precedence and a minimum of two weeks before doing the elective procedure to make sure you have passed the time of observation for blood clots or infection.

Dear tutania2006,

While it is theoretically possible to have a hysterectomy and abdominoplasty at the same time there are several good reasons to separate the two - especially if you are also considering having breast surgery as well. When an abdominoplasty and hysterectomy are combined there is a much higher risk of DVT and consequently a higher risk of pulmonary embolus - a scary complication. To lessen the risk of DVT, "blood thinners" are frequently prescribed and this then raises the risk of bleeding. There is also the financial  consideration of combining insurance cases with cosmetic operations.
I would recommend that you have your hysterectomy and then, in a second stage, have the combined abdominoplasty and breast surgery (mommy makeover). Be sure and consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon (or two) to learn your options. Best wishes, I hope this helps.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

NO not really. There are issues with blog loss from hysterectomy and TT alone but adding more cosmetic procedures would require you having 'for sure' blood transfusions.. Plus you MUST find a team go a GYN and PS that like to work together. Also the added expenses on the hospitalization for the cosmetic portion of the operation. This could reach up to $10,000 that is NOT included in the insurance hysterectomy portion. I speak from a recent experience with Baptist Health of Miami. Doing a combination hysterectomy with TT. The patient's out of pocket was almost $10,000.. 

Yes the two procedures can be combined assuming you have cooperative plastic surgeon and OB/GYN physicians involved.

The advantages of combining the procedure involve a single procedure,  a single recovery and potential cost savings.  The disadvantages include a higher risk of clotting ( deep venous thrombosis)  and/or infection. In my practice, I would recommend staging the procedure; have the hysterectomy performed first followed by the tummy tuck surgery several months subsequently.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.