Green tea and surgery?

Hi, I am having a mommy makeover (TT, BA and lift) on December 3rd. My PS had asked me to stop taking certain meds and vitamins 14 days prior to surgery. I just realized my multi-vitamin has 80 mg of green tea extract. How long is green tea in your system and would stopping 9 days prior to surgery be ok or cause for alarm? Thanks in advance for your response!

Took green tea extract before surgery

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

1. Green tea can cause some increased bleeding,
  2. The amount you took is unlikely to be of concern,
  3. Regardless, let your plastic surgeon know - it is best to have no secrets or surprises where your surgeon is concerned. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Green tea

Green tea extract should really not be an issue, but please check with your surgeon to see what his recommendation is.  Best wishes for your surgery!

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover 9 Days after Green Tea Extract

It would be best to ask your surgeon, since he/she would be responsible for any bleeding afterward.

Click on the link below to see a tummy tuck result. Lots to look forward too!

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Green tea and surgery?

It is very likely that stopping the green tea 9 days prior to surgery will be just fine; nevertheless, best to run any questions/concerns directly by your chosen plastic surgeon. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Grean tea and surgery

Dear madam,
    The main concern about green tea is the 'caffein' that can incease the blood pressure. So it should stop , for sure, 24 hours before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. As far as blood cloting, some studies bring up the possibilty of blood thining and some the possibilty of slowing of blood cloting due to vitamin K . For that reason , 2 weeks stopage is safe but 1 week should be safe too. I am more concern, though, with your plan to do tummy tuck and breasts augmentation at the same time. Patients over estimate their ability to recover from multiple surgeries. Both tummy tuck and breasts augmentation are painful procedures that can limit your activity significantly and that can result in severe complication like blood clots, pneumomia etc. Cosmetic surgery is purely elective and complication should be reduced to a minimum.  If you were my patient, I would recommend to you to split the surgeries and do them in 2 separate times.. Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.
                                          Dr Widder

Over-the-counter biologically active medication should be reported to your surgeon.

I don't see that the green tea extract is going to have a negative impact on your operation. Nevertheless this is something you need to report to your surgeon.

Green tea and surgery?

Stopping your multivitamin with green tea extract, nine days before your surgery, should not be a problem, but let your surgeon know about this when you see them before your surgery.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon