Under eye Restylane - how to prevent a needle-mark scar?

I would like to get Restylane under my eyes. How can I prevent a needle-mark injection scar? I would rather not get any Restylane, if it will leave a permanent needle prick scar.

Restylane or Belotero and Tear Trough injections

The needle or cannula used for injections in this area is a very fine needle and should by no means leave a permanent scar.  There is always the risk of some bruising and swelling initially that will go away in about a week.  It is best to consult an expert in this field.  Best, Dr. Green

Restylane treatment for the tear troughs

It is highly unlikely that this procedure would cause you to permanently scar in the area where the needle enters your skin.  The needles used for this procedure are tiny.  You may have a small red mark which will fade away within days.

Bruising, tenderness, and swelling (which are temporary) are the most common side effects with Restylane injections.  Sometimes microcannulas are used to further minimize the risk of side effects.  In the hands of an experienced Dermatologist, side effects will be minimal.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Needle mark after filler

You can have needle marks with redness after filler injection but these go away a few days after the injection. I have never seen a permanent scar in the eyelids from the needle track.

The most common problem with the injection under the eyes (tear trough) is small lumps or bumps or  bruising that usually resolve in less than a week. It is often easy to cover this with makeup. 

Hope this helps and good luck 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needle mark scar after Restylane injection

It is rare for the needle to leave a true scar. It is common to have discoloration or bruising from the needle mark, but that should resolve in 7-10 days. Next time you have a Restylane injection, you can inquire about using a cannula instead. This technique  results in fewer injection points and typically less bruising and swelling. Take care!
Anne Marie Tremaine, MD

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Risk of Needle Mark from Restylane under the Eyes

Restylane is typically injected with a very small needle such as a 30 gauge needle.  This would be very unlikely to leave a permanent mark on the skin.  I have never seen this happen.  Often I use a microcannula under the eyes instead of a needle to reduce the risk of bruising.  This requires a slightly larger needle to make an entry site for the cannula but I have not seen any permanent marks from this either.  It is possible that someone with darker skin could be more prone to getting a small area of hyperpigmentation (darker skin) at the site of the cannula entry, although I have not seen this.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Needle mark scar with Restylane

Thank you for your question.  Chances of developing a needle puncture scar is extremely low.  Rare exceptions are those that are hypersensitive Keloid formers.  If you have ever given blood for labs, you will find that there is no scarring with that procedure and a larger needle is usually used.  The important thing with this injection area is to go to a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon experience with injection in this area.