Will eyebrow transplant work for Ulerythema Ophryogenes? (photos)

I was diagnosed with Ulerythema Ophryogenes. I still have my eyebrows but they are thinning & are becoming pink/red so I know it's just a matter of time before I lose them. I'm using Latisse on them in hopes of holding off the inevitable. Should I consider an eyebrow transplant soon or should I wait until I really start to noticeably lose them? Will an eyebrow transplant even work for UO? I understand the follicle becomes atrophied & dies. Please help.

Ulerythema Ophryogenes

Ulerythema Ophryogenes is a disease of inflammation and scaling of the skin.  The hair grafts for an eyebrow hair transplant go below the skin so this condition should not be a contraindication for a hair transplant. Of course, this condition can cause significant scarring so be careful and discuss this with your doctor before undergoing an eyebrow transplant

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplant For Ulerythema Ophryogenes

I have performed at least 3 eyebrow transplants on individuals with UO. Two of them were via FUT and one was via FUE. You can see the photos on my website. All were successful and the patient's were very pleased with their results. One of the patients wrote a blog about his experience online. I had all three patients seen by Dermatology prior to their eyebrow transplant to verify that the UO was inactive. I also explained to the patients that there is a possibility that the UO could recur in the future and damage the new hair grafts. Up to now the grafts have maintained in all three of my patients. As long as you understand all the possibilities before undergoing the procedure, and are ok with them, eyebrow transplantation for UO can be a treatment option.

Marc Dauer, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon