I paid for Ultherapy, but did I really get Ultherapy?

Went to aesthetician. She recommended Ultherapy. She said, "I've a doctor who both sells the equipment in the region, teaches other doctors, does it himself". I paid $3, 500. The doctor is a real Dr, I did look him up, had the machine w/in a large briefcase-ish thing. The screen did not show the cartoon woman; I saw a big numeral in/decreasing (i.e.81) It did not hurt at all-felt VERY mild tingling. I see a little result in my eye lids, but elsewhere on my face-nothing. Did I even get Ultherapy?

If the doctor who treated you used an authentic Ultherapy machine, you should find his name on the Ultherapy website listed as a certified provider.  Generally, our patients do experience discomfort and/or pain and we always suggest pre-medicated.   Good luck.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulterapy vs other HIFU- RF treatments.

Either you have an amazing pain threshold, or you did not have the proper Ultherapy treatment. It is the Doctors legal and ethical manner to explain the machine and treatment planned. Conducted properly all patients experience more than VERY mild tingling. We often conduct this treatment with Nitrous laughing gas, or Penthrox to help relieve pain. Kind regards, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Questionable Ulthera

From your description, I would question if you had an authentic Ulthera treatment.  The screen during a treatment should show the outline of a woman, as you described, the ultrasound image, and indicate which transducer is being used and how many lines are left on that transducer.  Typically, patients experience more than a tingling sensation.  I would suggest following up with your provider to see if they can provider further information.  You can also search the Ulthera physician finder, and see if that practice is listed.  Best of luck as you sort this out!

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Fake Ultherapy

Based on your description it sounds like you didn't really get treated with Ultherapy. You will definitely feel an Ultherapy treatment. Calling Ultherapy or checking their website to see if your practitioner is a certified provider is a good idea. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Based on your description, it sounds highly suspicious. You saw an esthetician and then a doctor came? Did you consult the doctor in his office? there may be kick back and fee splitting between the esthetician and the doctor which is illegal. Also, the description of the machine is not consistent with Ultherapy. You may have been treated with a non-FDA approved machine which is illegal. Lastly, if the doctor did not need to inject to numb you and you felt no pain, it was not ultherapy. Best way is to demand to see the machine and the serial number and request the print out of the treatment you received. You can also check on the manufacturer's website if your doctor is a registered provider of Ultherapy. If you feel you were misled, file a complaint with your state medical board.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, from your description while it does not sound like you had Ultherapy, it is best to check with Ulthera if your physician is a licensed provider of the treatment.  This can be done by searching on their website or calling the company.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon