Dental Bonding over front teeth is starting to feel weird 5 years after treatment, is this normal?

I had dental bonding for cosmetic reasons to cover up the gap between my front teeth. however it has started to feel out of place like I can feel the bonding stuck on. It feels similar to that strange feeling when you very first get bonding done.

Yes, This is normal.

Dental Bonding will last between 5-7 years and at that time may require a touch up or complete replacement. You may want to consider Porcelain Veneers for a long term fix or you may elect to have the bonding replaced. Polishing or "touching up" the composite could be a short term fix.

Newport Beach Prosthodontist

Dental Cosmetic Bonding Failure

Unfortunately dental bonding material is porous and after period of time it does tent to discolor and break down. Some are sooner them others. 5 years isn't an unreasonable time for Resin materials to start it's break down process. I hope you get your dental care exams regularly so that if and when there is any decay or breakage it's diagnosed in a timely manner since that might be another reason why your bonding starting to feel strange and de-bonding. It would be very helpful to see at least pictures to give you a little more details on whats going on with your bonding. I personally prefer ceramic veneers for cosmetic purposes. Its pricier for sure but you get much longer life span and durability with these. Please let me know if you able to add photos or have any other questions I could address on RS. In any case please get a dental exam to take care of this issue. Thank you

Composite doesn't last forever

Composite (dental bonding) doesn't last forever.  You might notice stain on the boundary of your bond and tooth.  The surface might also be rough due to wear, abrasion, and etc.  You might also have caries underneath your filling.  The best thing for you to do is go see your dentist and possibly have your filling redone.

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist