I just had Juvederm on my lips with a cold sore present. I was on valtrex 24 hours prior. Is this bad?

Generally we do not recommend lip injections be performed while there are active cold sores.

Generally we do not recommend lip injections be performed while there are active cold sores. It’s best to wait until the cold sores are resolved and take antiviral medications before and after to prevent a new outbreak. Now that you have been injected, though, the best thing to do is just to continue taking Valtrex and hope for the best. The main concern here is that the cold sore virus will spread and cause more sores to appear. In the future, I would recommend disclosing to your provider if you have any conditions such as cold sores so that your appointment can be rescheduled if necessary. Always be sure to see a board-certified dermatologist for any treatment.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Cold Sore and Injections

It is best to wait until the cold sore is completely gone before proceeding with injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Lips shouldn't be injected with active cold sore.

There is a risk of spreading the virus or getting a worse infection if lips are injected during a cold sore outbreak. It is best to do after it is healed and take preventative dosing before and after. In general, elective procedures should be done when you are the healthiest you can be.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

No treatment with cold sore

If you have a cold sole wait until the cold sore is resolved before any facial treatment.     The Valtrex helpst prevent a cold sole but does no reliably rid one of a cold sore fast enough.   My Best,  Dr Commons

Fillers and cold sores

I would have waited until the cold sore was completely resolved before having filler placed. Best of luck.

Cold sore and Juvederm in lips

I typically recommend against injection of the lips or use of lasers around the lips during an active infection.  It is a good thing that you started an antiviral prior to your treatment.  I would recommend continuing it for at least another week.  The concern with any type of manipulation of the lips is causing a cold sore lesion to present.  In your case, it was already present so the concern is possible spread to other parts of your lips.  The best thing to do at this point is to continue the valtrex.  Good luck.

Payman Kosari, MD
Dermatology, Laser and Vein Specialists
1918 Randolph Rd, Suite 550
Charlotte, NC       

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm with cold sore...

Thank you for your question.  You should not have been injected with an active infection.  However now that you were, I would request a prescription of Sitavig from your physician as it is the most bioavailable anti-viral for the oral reservoir.  It is a self dissolving tablet that adheres to your gingiva and will help prevent spread of the infection.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Continue with Valtrex

My feeling is to continue with the Valtrex for some more days to help prevent a breakout due to the trauma of the injections.
Dr. Denkler