Septal perforation from a septoplasty, nose keeps whistling constantly, any ways to fix this other than surgery?

I have a tiny septal perforation from a septoplasty and my nose does not stop whistling, any way to solve this issue until i get surgery to fix it? I plan on saving up for a rhinoplasty and to have this fixed with the rhinoplasty but realistically i will not be able to have rhinoplasty for another year because i need to save up... so i need to find a way to stop the whistling as it is driving me crazy. And the sad thing is the septoplasty did not even work and just made it worse.

Whistling septum

Sorry to hear about your whistling nose!  A septal button is often a good solution to stop the whistling in the meantime.  This is a small piece of silastic that can be placed in the hole to help the air flow more smoothly.  Visit a facial plastic surgeon today and see what solutions may be available.Best of luck!

Dr Rodman

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal Perforation Options

Whistling, bleeding and crusting are unfortunately common complaints for patients who suffer with small nasal septal perforation. Depending on the size of your perforation, you could consider temporarily placing a "septal button". This typically inserted by your physician and looks like two small circles of silastic that are linked together across your perforation with magnets or snaps. Temporarily, this may provide you some relief of whistling. Some custom made buttons consist of a single mold of silastic. If your septal perforation is "pinpoint" this will not work, but you can apply antibiotic ointment to "plug" up the opening. Reapplication will be necessary throughout the day, but the this should decrease the whistling issues. Ask you surgeon to discuss your options while you wait for a permanent surgical solution. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon