I need a huge perforation in my septum repaired from years of cocaine use. Can you repair my large perforated septum?

Doctor Answers 3

Repairing a large septal perforation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is very difficult to completely close a large septal perforation. That being said, it might be possible to reduce the size of the perforation if you are symptomatic. Good luck in your area.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Septal perforation repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Repairing septal perforations is a complex issue that will require an in-person consultation with a surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery and rhinoplasty.Repair of a perforation can be done a number of ways, depending on the size, location, and severity of the perforation.  They can be repaired directly, by using temporalis muscle fascia, by using Alloderm or a similar product, or by placing a septal button.In addition, you may also have to consider the structural integrity of the bridge of your nose.  A septal perforation can weaken the bridge and cause it to "collapse."  In these instances, additional surgery to improve the support of your nose may also be needed.  Sometimes ear cartilage or rib cartilage is needed to build new structure to your nose.In the end, it is important to find a surgeon who is an expert in nasal surgery and repairs septums often.  He/she can provide guidance in the best repair option for you.Best of luck.

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repair of a large septal perforation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A large septal perforation is usually best treated with a septal button which can be placed in the office setting.  It is very difficult to close a very large septal perforation 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.