I'm having endoscopic sinus surgery, an smrt done and my deviated septum corrected. Will this straighten my nose?

The doctor told me they would shave bone and remove cartilage from my nose...will this procedure straighten my nose??

Sinus surgery and deviated septum surgery will not straighten the nose

Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed in the back of the nose to remove polyps located in side the sinus cavities.  A deviated septum causes nasal obstruction due to twisted bone and cartilage in the back of the nose blocking airflow.  A septoplasty procedure is performed to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  Sinus surgery and a septoplasty procedure are both functional surgeries, and do not change the shape of the nose.  Endoscopic sinus surgery and a septoplasty  are billed to patient's medical insurance, once medical necessity has been documented.  A cosmetic rhinoplasty is performed to improve the look of the nose such as shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing the bridge line and straightening the  crooked nose.  Expect  to pay for that component yourself. All 3 procedures can be performed under the same anesthesia with the same recovery period.  For more information describing the differences between all 3 surgical procedures, please see the video and the link below 

Minor changes to the nose seen with septoplasty surgery

On occasion, very minor improvements to the external appearance of the nose can be seen with septoplasty performed alone.  The majority of change achieved with internal surgical septoplasty is manifested within the inside of the nose, specifically an improvement in breathing.  Also, occasionally, septoplasty is required during rhinoplasty to enhnace the nasal dorsum (outer nose) straightening.  Importantly, one should not undergo a septoplasty with the single desire to straighten the nose.  Rhinoplasty is needed for straigtening of the outer nose.

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon