I had a drain pulled following abdominoplasty and the tubing broke off inside of me. The dr says it's ok, is this true?

There is about 1.5 inches remaining inside that wasn't "torn" out. The nurses were visibly confused And called the dr in. My plastic surgeon said this is not that uncommon- it probably got caught in one of the progressive sutures. He is a reputable surgeon with a lot of experience and he assured me it is made of the same thing that my implants are and that it would be more harmful to go in and take the small piece ouout. Is this the case or should I be alarmed?

Tummy tuck drain

This situation is not common. I would suggest to remove the piece of drain that was left inside, which can cause an infection. Contact your surgeon to discuss this matter.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Drain remnant probably should be removed

Thanks for your question. I've seen this once in 15 years. I elected to remove it. It's almost right at the incision site. Honestly, I really don't think it would cause a problem but I didn't want to take any chances. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Drain tube broke off inside of me

Thank you for your question. It is rare what you have described. But we consider this as foreign body and recommend to remove it. Please talk to your PS

Drain brok after TT

this can happen rerely and I would suggest having it removed. If it can be localized radiographically, pethaps it can be removed thru a short incision under local, or even by an invasive radiologist. Its NOT life threatening, but removal is suggested.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Retained piece of surgical drain

As other respondents have already indicated, it is not common nor it is it advisable to leave the fragment of drain in your body. Typically, the drain runs in a relatively accessible plane beneath your skin. It can usually be removed under local anesthetic in the office. Plan to speak directly with your plastic surgeon and explain what you want him/her to do. Most reasonable plastic surgeons would be happy to remove it at no additional cost to you. 

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Broken Drain

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear of your post-operative drain issue. This is a foreign body which needs to be removed. I suggest having a discussion with your plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. 

Abdominoplasty Drain

Hi, Thank you for your question. I have never had this happen. It is certainly not a common thing that occurs. I would be concerned with infection and would certainly not leave it inside of you. I would discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Contaminated foreign body that must be removed

It is completely uncommon. The difference between this and an implant is that an implant is sterile.   This by definition is not.  It was connected to the outside world.  It is a contaminated foreign body that must be removed.