Will cellfina treatment help with post lipo fibrosis? (Photo)

I spoke to a nurse at doctors office, she told me that cellulaze or cellfina would help break the scar tissue post lipo. Is this true?

Loose skin cannot be fixed with Cellfina

I see from your photo that you have some looseness of your abdominal skin after liposuction. Sadly, this is true for most of us women over 35. Cellfina has NOT been proven to help with this problem nor has it been FDA approved for this application. I would suggest that you wait a while longer to see how your skin tightens up with time. If you still are unhappy, then a skin-only abdominoplasty would take care of it completely. Any attempts to correct this with Cellfina would have to be considered "experimental".

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina improvement for liposuction fibrosis

Cellfina improvement for liposuction fibrosisThere is not much published info for this use.  Most experience has been with ultrasound, massage therapy, velashape 3,  or similar, and secondary liposuction and fat graftingLiposuction is considered to be a very safe procedure. It does not have any raised probability for any of the complications that could come from any surgery, including swelling, bruising, bleeding, infection, prolonged healing time, or changes in skin appearance. The risk of liposuction or Liposculpture surgery can be minimized by selecting a well trained board certified plastic surgeon with experience. Unfortunately it is a “buyer beware” marketplace and it has been estimated that more liposuction procedures are performed by physicians that are not certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. General Surgeons, Dermatologists, ENT, Gynecologists, Emergency Medicine, Radiologists, Family Practice and others frequently advertise and perform this surgery without the same training, standards or qualifications found by a Plastic Surgeon.

Cellfina treatment

Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive

Post lipo fibrosis

It would be helpful to know how far out you are from your lipo procedure. I love using Cellfina for cellulite  but am afraid it would provide little benefit to your abdomen. This is a tough problem to correct. I think you would get the best improvement by secondary liposuction, fat grafting with fat equalization. This should not be done until the tissues have completely softened in your abdomen, likely one year after your lipo procedure.

Cellfina for post liposuction fibrosis

Thank you for your question. Cellfina is only FDA cleared for the buttocks and posterior thighs, not for the abdomen. It may actually help a little in your case, but that would be an off-label use of the instrument. You may try something more simple first such as ultrasound therapy? Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina Treatment Los Angeles

Hello and thank you for the question.Cellfina may indeed help with the post-lipoplasty fibrosis, however this condition is difficult to correct with any one modality.  Depending on how far you're out from surgery, I would consider primarily treating the area with ultrasound therapy and allow time for remodeling of the scar tissue.  With no resolution, a trial of Cellfina may  be considered over a small area, and I would combine the treatment with concomitant fat grafting Or Sculptra injections.Warmest Regards, Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Yes it could help with some of the fibrotic areas but in your case it would require additional fat grating to improve the multiple areas areas of scarring.  This may require multiple fat grafting sessions depending on the response of the initial treatment.

Cellfina for Post Lipo fibrosis

Thank you for your question. There is no FDA indication for Cellfina and post laser fibrosis. In our office we use ultrasound therapy with excellent results for new onset fibrosis immediately after liposuction.

Treatment for post lipo fibrosis

Neither one will make the area completely smooth again. The cellfina could break up the scar tissue adhesions but there is nothing to prevent the scar tissue from reforming. The cellulaze adds a component of heat underneath the skin which, in my opinion, would not be beneficial. It would be helpful to know how long ago you had your liposuction and if any other treatments have been done since then.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon