Is There a Procedure for Getting Rid of Underarm "Wrinkles" or Excess Skin and Would You Recommend It?

I've had underarm "wrinkles" or excess skin since birth. I also sweat a little more than the average person under my arms as well as other places (I know of Hyperhidrosis already). Lines under my arms have gotten worse after puberty and it makes it harder for me to shave because it gets irritated easily. I'm pretty fit (so I know losing weight won't help) and it's not because I'm aging because I'm still in my 20's. I rarely wear sleeveless tops because it's really unattractive.

It would be helpful to see pictures or examine you, but, if you have loose skin, an arm lift to remove that excess skin is usually a good alternative.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Treatment of Underarm Wrinkles

A large variety of treatment options are available to treat excess skin and wrinkles of the upper arm. Unfortunately, without a physical examination or pictures, it's virtually impossible to make a specific recommendation in your case. The appropriate treatment of this problem might be something relatively simple such as the application of topical agents. It might also be something more complex such as a surgical procedure known as a brachioplasty.

For these reasons, it's appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Brachioplasty option

Without photos a definitive answer can't be given. However several options exist.

1)standard brachioplasty- removes skin, fat with an incision from armpit to near elbow

2) mini brachioplasty - usually performed with liposuction and skin resected only near armpit with scar limited to armpit area.

3) minimal scar brachioplasty- liposuction proceeded by Radio Frequency (RF)  (Thermage  an example)

These are the options I give my patients asked on their desires and physical exam.

Make a appointment with a reputable, expirenced board certified plastic surgeon.

Getting rid of under arm wrinkles question mark

It is hard to give you a meaningful answer without pictures.  My recommendation would be for you to consult a board certified plastic surgeon for treatments that are specific to your concerns.

Possible redundant skin of the axillary area

Almost impossible to answer this question without an examination and photographs.  If you have redundant skin under the arms then an excision of this skin is possible.