How long does it REALLY take to recover from upper and lower bleph?

How long does it really take to recover from upper and lower bleph? I had it done less than a month ago, and all the research I have done on the web, says "You should be back to work in 7 days". It does not address long term healing. I am not healed yet, and my eyes don't look right yet. The bags below are still visible. I am interested to hear about the long term healing aspect of this surgery.

Going back to work and being fully recovered are not the same thing.

I have patients who are back on the phones the day after eyelid surgery.  The often will sneak into their office 3 to 5 days after surgery.  Generally many people find 7 days back to work a bit early but 10 to 14 days are much more feasible depending on how much public contact they have.  By 14 to 21 days, most people will not grab  you by the arm and ask what happened?  I release my patients to return to their workouts at 21 days.  Lumpy firmness in the lower eyelid is at its maximum 4 to 6 weeks after surgery before getting better.  Most eyelid patents tell me at 8 weeks that they feel like things just settled down.  However I advise them that they continue to heal over the next 12 months.  Your experience is fits this time line.

Eyelid Surgery Recovery

Thank you for your question. We advise a recovery period, of 5 - 7 days, for an upper eyelids and two weeks for lower lids.  For patients who bruise easily, recovery may be slightly longer.  Cool whitchazel compresses (dampen cotton pads with whitchazel, cooled in the fridge), post surgery, are very helpful in reducing swelling and providing relief.  Sleep with your head elevated, for the first few nights, this will also aid in reducing swelling.  Best of Luck!

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Healing from Eyelid Surgery

There are different stages to healing from any surgery.  Majority of the bruising/swelling resolves within the 7-14 days.  The muscles and other structures can take up to 3 months to recover and "settle".  Majority of the scarring is complete in first 3 months, although complete healing/remodeling of the scar take up to a year.  For most patients, what is most important is the obvious signs of surgery (bruising/swelling) which last 7-14 days.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Most patients will look presentable at 2 weeks, but the swelling can be significant for 6 weeks or so.

I have performed Blepharoplasty for over 25 years and this is a great question.  Let's assume a typical amount of skin and fat are removed from the upper and lower eyelids and that the surgery is completed in a timely manner by an experienced Blepharoplasty Surgeon (about an hour...longer surgery results in more swelling/bruising everything else being equal).  The lower eyelids heal the quickest as the swelling is drawn downward by gravity into the large lymphatic vessels of the face.  In a week, the swelling, bruising should pretty much be gone.

The upper eyelids however are dependent which means the swelling has to go up out of the eyelids around the temples and then down to the large lymphatic vessels which can take a couple of weeks for the majority to be gone and up to 3 months to be completely gone.  The typical look is that at 1 week post upper bleph the eyelid crease is a bit swollen and puffy.  The next few weeks things look much better and so on.  It's important that patients refrain from strenuous activity for the first month as this increases the eyelid swelling.  Hope this helps.

In general, the pain is virtually nonexistant after a day or two and the swelling and bruising go away in a couple of weeks. Perhaps you had more than a routine bleph or maybe yoou are spending too much time with your face down (like when reading) or not sleeping elevated.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Recovery time after a blepharoplasty

Most patients have visible bruising and swelling after upper lower blepharoplasty for 2 weeks. Most patients are able to return to work or social activities at 2 weeks. There is mild amount of residual swelling that is present for  Approximately 2 months and this can easily be covered with makeup. The incisions also take 2-3 months to settle down until the scar has fully matured

Healing after blepharoplasty

You can go back to work one day after a bleph if you don't mind looking bruised and swollen!  Most patients will want to take off about 10-14 days after the surgery so that the initial healing is well underway and they look presentable.  In some people the bruising can last for several weeks.  And full healing takes at least 6 months.  So you are still in the early healing phase.       

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Healing from upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty

Healing from blepharoplasty varies with everyone.  Some have little swelling and bruising and appear to be healed in a few weeks. Others have more intense bruising and swelling or other underlying health issues that can delay healing and recovery. It is hard to predict at times who will respond best to surgery.  In the vast majority of patients, however, the outcomes are similar once healing occurs, whether rapid or slow.  So unless you feel you are getting worse, just be patient and let your body heal.  Scar remodeling and complete healing can take 6 months to a year in some patients.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon