What is wrong with my neck? Platysmal bands? (Photo)

I have this problem of late. I have noticed that when I am talking and my tongue is in certain positions, that my neck develops this vertical rope like appearance, with a sort of dip in the center. It only is visible while I am speaking. I am 37 years old, and this is tormenting me, as I am not showing visible signs of aging otherwise. Whatever it is, can it be rectified? Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

What is wrong with my neck? Platysmal bands?

Good diagnosis, they are indeed platysma bands. There are a variety of surgical procedures designed to improve that problem. Make sure you see a surgeon experienced in a variety of facelift techniques.

Neck bands

Your bands are caused but platysmal over-activity, as you correctly pointed out.  Botox can help until your are ready for surgery.  Surgically, you would need a mini-U-lift (tm) wherein a horizontal platysmal division would improve the appearance of the bands.  Seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic surgeon experience with advanced platysmal work.   Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Correct

They are the vertical platysma bands that are visible because you are skinny at your neck and maybe due also to the early aging. They have correction with a properly done neck lift in experienced hands, a muscular lift, but I deem it is too soon for you for such major procedure. Give it a think.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of premature platysma bands.

The platysma bands that you have are only present upon motion and therefore will need to be sutured as well as partially excised and then transected so as not to create an unnatural appearance A better evaluation can be made in person. I would not be aggressive or you can end up with a skeletonized neck. See a very experienced facelift surgeon for this. 

Platysma Bands of the Neck

Yes, the bands you see are the result of lax platysma muscle which occurs as part of the normal aging process. There is a genetic component to the formation of your bands because they are unusual in a lady your age. Your anterior neck can be improved by reducing the bands as an isolated procedure or a full neck lift if necessary.i

Treatment for platysmal bands

The treatment for platysmal bands is a platysma plasty. The platysma plasty is usually only performed  when the platysmal bands are present at rest, not upon animation. A platysma plasty involves making an incision underneath the chin and suturing the platysmal bands together between the hyoid bone and the incision. If the bands are very dynamic, transection of them can be performed lower in the neck through the same incision. Fatty deposits can also be removed from above and below the platysma muscle at the same time, if needed.  For more information and many examples of platysma plasty , please see the link and the video below

Platysma bands

YES those are platysma bands and can be corrected with a platysmaplasty associated with a neck lift 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

You do not have platysmal Bands. What you are seeing is normal contractions of the Platysma Muscle when speaking. At rest you have a beautiful neck! Do not consider surgery.

You do not need a neck lift or Platysmaplasty yet. Try Botox to lessen Platysma Muscle contraction.

Neck Bands

Hi
They are neck muscle (platysma)  anterior bands.  If you are not showing any other signs of aging, Botoxor Dysport injections will improve them until you develop sings of aging at which point a surgical correction will be more long-lasting.  Best wishes.

Edwin Moreano, MD

Platsyma Band Concerns

Dear symmetryisbeauty, You do have visible signs of your platysma bands upon animation which could be relaxed with Botox injections for the time being. As you see further signs of aging and you decide to have this problem fixed via surgery then this can be corrected with platysma plasty. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD