What's the best treatment for lip incompetence? (Photo)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to improve or completely treat my lip incompetence. Thanks so much!

Lip and Fillers

I would recommend that you start with one syringe of Restylane or Juvederm to correct the lips.  I would not recommend anything more aggressive.  Best, Dr. Green

Lips

You should start out with 1cc of filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip don't close at rest

The easiest solution is putting some filler in the lips. This should help solve most of the problem. Other measures include surgery but I wouldn't recommend. I think you'll be happy with fillers, Juvederm or Restylane.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

fillers, fat and implants can help but i thin the whole lip area including the surrounding lip needs to be treated with fillers properly / sculptra and lasers.  Ultherapy will lift. this will make the entire unit appear more youthful.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Oral Incompetence

There are multiple causes for oral incompetence. After determining the cause and severity, there are several options that can address and improve this.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

The first step before any treatment is diagnosis, and a thorough history (how long you've noticed it, how it bothers you, any associated symptoms or difficulty, others in family who may have or have had it, etc.) and physical examination (skeletal, dental, soft tissue, both at rest as your photo shows, and with animation such as smiling) are the cornerstones for gathering information leading to diagnosis.  Special studies (x-ray, cephalometric analysis) may also be indicated.  It may be that an orthognathic approach to reduce your vertical maxillary height is appropriate rather than directly treating your lips.  

Consider personal consultation with a specialist in maxillofacial surgery. 

Steve Laverson, MD