What can be done with those salivary glands 1 year post face lift and neck lift? (Photo)

I had a Face lift and neck lift in Sep 2013. healing took a very long time. I am now left with this. Can anything be done??

Large Tissue Under Jawlines

Large submandibular glands poses a challenge post face and neck lift. It can protrude and cause irregular shape under the jawlines. In the past surgeons removed part of this gland to reduce the size of it. Injection of Botox can reduce the size of these glands after facelift surgery.
I concur with my colleagues; I am not persuaded all these excess tissues are salivary glands. There appear excess fat and skin as well as well as large submandibular glands. Your surgeon should be able to give you a better assessment. A second opinion with a facial surgeon is also recommended.

Large Tissue Under Jawlines

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fcaelift Revision.

Good Question.  Your photos help, however, more views of your face would be beneficial.

It appears from your photographs your neck area is not smooth and flat.  I do feel there can be improvement with a proper face and neck lift.  The face and neck are treated as one unit in rejuvenation surgery.  In this manner, a good result is possible in both areas.  The skin and deep layers must be treated differently and re draped properly and a better result can be obtained.  The anatomy of the neck can be restored to a youthful with the proper surgical procedures.  I would recommend a revision facelift with a surgeon who feels competent.  I perform revision surgery in both the neck and the face.  it is possible to improve your result.  I hope this helps.  Good luck 

Fcaelift Revision.

Can salivary glands be reduced 1 year post face lift and neck lift?

Fullness under your neck can be a combination of fat, soft tissues, loose skin skin, enlarged neck muscles and salivary glands. Although the salivary glands can be reduced with further neck lift surgery, it is likely to be in combination with addressing other parts of the anatomy at the same time. It may be in your best interest to have a further clinical assessment of your neck to review your options.

The salivary glands are located under your jaw line (termed submandibular and submaxillary salivary glands), and are usually hidden behind your natural jaw and soft tissue of your neck. In some people the glands can be lower down and create bulging in the neck, this can create a more bulbous or irregular shape and contour of your neck. Most people who undergo facial rejuvenation with face and neck lift surgery do not require surgery on their salivary glands. In some people as a consequence of their natural anatomy and facial ageing the position of the glands could effect the final surgical result. In these patients partial removal of the salivary glands as part of the face and neck lift surgery may be beneficial and improve the result of the surgery. The anatomy of the salivary glands include a very powerful blood supply, hence surgery on the glands needs to be both cautious and reserved for when necessary to avoid unnecessary issue from surgery. If your salivary glands are more prominent in your neck, then partial removal of the salivary glands at the same time as facial rejuvenation surgery may improve the results of your surgery, an assessment is required to determine your individual needs and suitability for this surgery.

Doubt you problem is due to salivary gland enlargement.

I really don't think the aesthetic problem of the neck is related to enlarged salivary glands.I think a surgical revision should give you an excellent result.  Facelifts almost always leave an excellent neck.

Prominent Neck Pouches after Facelift

First off, a thorough examination is necessary to determine the exact origin of these prominent pouches. Treatment needs to be based on the diagnosis from this exam but would require re-sculpting the neck region, most likely including fat excess and possibly gland reduction if they are involved.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prominent Neck Pouches after Facelift

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Management of prominent salivary glands after facelift surgery

Thank you for your picture and question.
In your case, the submandibular salivary glands were probably camouflaged by the jowls and excess skin. After surgery and after the swelling came down, the glands "revealedl" themselves.
A lot of the answers on this thread had recommended that you direct your question back to your plastic surgeon.
I have found that botox injections can help to atrophy the gland and make it less prominent, thereby helping to further define the jaw-line.

- Dr. Bryson G. Richards, MD

- Dr. Bryson G. Richards, MD

Salivary Glands and Facelift

You should return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. He/she can discuss his/her assessment. If you don't feel you're getting all the information you need, you should seek a second opinion. Attached is a link to help you find a plastic surgeon/facial plastic surgeon should you decide to seek a second opinion.

Salivary Glands and Facelift

Salivary Glands after face lift

I agree with my colleague, I am not convinced these are salivary glands. You should return to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and allow him / her to evaluate your neck. Since they operated on you they will have the best idea of what is going on, based on the surgery they preformed. If they are not sure, they will be able to get you to the correct physician who would be able to help you. Good Luck

Stephen M.Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Salivary Glands after face lift

Stephen M.Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Post facelift salivary glands

These would the most displaced salivary glands I have ever seen.  I am not so sure they are salivary glands.  This a  year after your facelift.  If I were you I would seek an opinion from the otolaryngology dept. of a teaching university hospital.  An MRI could be needed to solve the issue.  This could be an unresolved hematoma which could become a chronic problem and need corrective surgery.  if they are salivary glands that is an otolaryrgology issue.  some surgeons partly remove salivary glands but can cause other problems.sorry you having these issues, but proper diagnosis needed before exploratory surgery.

Post facelift salivary glands

Unhappy with face lift result in the nekc.

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

1. You photo suggests that the problem is residual fat, loose platysma muscle and loose skin.
  2. The photo does not suggest that the problem is the salivary glands - an in-person exam will settle that question however.
  3. It appears you need a revision of your face lift to correct the neck. 

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes!