What can be done with those salivary glands 1 year post face lift and neck lift? (Photo)

I had a Face lift and neck lift in Sep 2013. healing took a very long time. I am now left with this. Can anything be done??

Large Tissue Under Jawlines

Large submandibular glands poses a challenge post face and neck lift. It can protrude and cause irregular shape under the jawlines. In the past surgeons removed part of this gland to reduce the size of it. Injection of Botox can reduce the size of these glands after facelift surgery.
I concur with my colleagues; I am not persuaded all these excess tissues are salivary glands. There appear excess fat and skin as well as well as large submandibular glands. Your surgeon should be able to give you a better assessment. A second opinion with a facial surgeon is also recommended.

Doubt you problem is due to salivary gland enlargement.

I really don't think the aesthetic problem of the neck is related to enlarged salivary glands.I think a surgical revision should give you an excellent result.  Facelifts almost always leave an excellent neck.

Prominent Neck Pouches after Facelift

First off, a thorough examination is necessary to determine the exact origin of these prominent pouches. Treatment needs to be based on the diagnosis from this exam but would require re-sculpting the neck region, most likely including fat excess and possibly gland reduction if they are involved.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Management of prominent salivary glands after facelift surgery

Thank you for your picture and question.
In your case, the submandibular salivary glands were probably camouflaged by the jowls and excess skin. After surgery and after the swelling came down, the glands "revealedl" themselves.
A lot of the answers on this thread had recommended that you direct your question back to your plastic surgeon.
I have found that botox injections can help to atrophy the gland and make it less prominent, thereby helping to further define the jaw-line.

- Dr. Bryson G. Richards, MD

Salivary Glands and Facelift

You should return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. He/she can discuss his/her assessment. If you don't feel you're getting all the information you need, you should seek a second opinion. Attached is a link to help you find a plastic surgeon/facial plastic surgeon should you decide to seek a second opinion.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Salivary Glands after face lift

I agree with my colleague, I am not convinced these are salivary glands. You should return to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and allow him / her to evaluate your neck. Since they operated on you they will have the best idea of what is going on, based on the surgery they preformed. If they are not sure, they will be able to get you to the correct physician who would be able to help you. Good Luck

Stephen M.Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Post facelift salivary glands

These would the most displaced salivary glands I have ever seen.  I am not so sure they are salivary glands.  This a  year after your facelift.  If I were you I would seek an opinion from the otolaryngology dept. of a teaching university hospital.  An MRI could be needed to solve the issue.  This could be an unresolved hematoma which could become a chronic problem and need corrective surgery.  if they are salivary glands that is an otolaryrgology issue.  some surgeons partly remove salivary glands but can cause other problems.sorry you having these issues, but proper diagnosis needed before exploratory surgery.

Unhappy with face lift result in the nekc.

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

1. You photo suggests that the problem is residual fat, loose platysma muscle and loose skin.
  2. The photo does not suggest that the problem is the salivary glands - an in-person exam will settle that question however.
  3. It appears you need a revision of your face lift to correct the neck. 

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information helps. Best wishes!

Fullness in neck after facelift

There are likely multiple factors contributing to the unsatisfactory contour if your neck. I do believe gland hypertrophy is part- but not all- of the issue. 

I do not know of an easy way to achieve significant further improvement. If you are up to the risk and recovery, a revision face/neck lift, this time with gland excision (controversial but achievable) could help. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Residual neck laxity and contours after face/necklift

It is really speculation as to what is causing your concerns without a in-depth analysis of what your anatomy was prior to surgery and what was specifically done during surgery, as well as your post-op recovery course. A careful physical exam should be able to determine if ptotic glands are a contributing factor. If your surgeon hasn't answered your questions to your satisfaction, you might seek a second opinion or ask your surgeon for a referral. If your surgeon is reputable and experienced, in general, it is best that any revision is done by him/her.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD