Is it normal to have horizontal lines on the forehead at age 20?

I am 20 year old female and I am starting to notice I'm having horizontal lines on my forehead. Also could it be when I tie up my long hair in a bun all the time the forehead skin gets pulled which causes those line? Also I am original from the Midwest where its cold and I now live in the west coast where it sunny all the time and I do walk out a lot, could that be the reason? Also is there any creams or skin routine I can do to get rid of them and prevent them?

Dynamic Wrinkles, Dynamic Causes

Hi LaurenB12. Horizontal forehead lines are actually quite common and appear at different ages for different people. Many different factors contribute to them, including heredity, sun exposure, and muscle movement. If you find yourself furrowing your brow often or spending a lot of time without sunscreen, you could be accelerating the development of these lines. In this case, the best product you can invest in is a quality sunscreen. Find a broad-spectrum formula that's made just for faces, and get in the habit of applying it every day under your makeup, even if it's cloudy or raining. This keeps harmful ultraviolet rays from damaging your skin, ensuring that your entire face — including your forehead — looks its best for as long as possible. The next step is talking to a qualified dermatologist about a skincare regimen customized to your needs. This may include medical-grade products such as retinols that strengthen your skin. Many people also begin using BOTOX in their 20s. BOTOX relaxes the facial muscles that cause "dynamic" wrinkles such as forehead lines. Beginning to use it as soon as you see those lines can prevent them from becoming more pronounced. Talk to a board-certified dermatologist about these options, and thanks for your question!

San Diego Dermatologist

Horizontal Forehead Lines

Horizontal lines in the forehead are caused by muscular contraction of the frontalis muscle that raises the eyebrows.  The amount of muscle mass and the degree of wrinkling is dependent on genetics, and the amount of activity in the muscle group. Therefore, horizontal lines of the forehead are not always a result of the aging process, although they are usually worsened by it.  Treatment with a paralytic such as Botox, in the central forehead area , will often help soften these lines and may prevent them from worsening. I strongly encourage you to seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in facial injectables. 

F. True Lansden, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

When Do You Develop Lines of the Forehead?

Hello Lauren,

That is a very good question as many people tend to think that you begin to get wrinkles later in life (30s and 40s). The lines on your forehead are from expressions you make with your face.

Think of your muscles in your forehead as a bed sheet and the skin on top as the blanket. If you make your bed without fixing the sheets, but only straighten the top layer (which is the blanket) the bed will still appear to be wrinkled.

In order to create a flat surface on your forehead without any lines/wrinkles, you would need to use a neurotoxin such as Botox. The neurotoxin paralyzes the muscle and allows the skin to lay flat, and creating a smooth surface.

Patients tend to think that they do not need Botox in their 20s, when Botox injections at an early age can be used to help prevent creases and wrinkles. It allows the muscle to weaken over time and decreases lines, wrinkles, and crow's feet.

I would also supplement Botox with a skin care regimen such as SkinMedica, including SPF daily. I hope this answered your question and good luck with everything!

Horizontal forehead lines

If you are in the habit of raising your forehead, you can develop horizontal lines at a young age. Neuromodulators such as Botox, Dysport and Xeomin can help diminish the lines by relaxing the movement.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Foerhead lines

Horizontal lines across the forehead at age 20 are most likely genetic. Does someone else in your family, mother or father, have similar lines? Botox can do a very good job at softening most of these lines.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Horizontal Forehead Lines

Forehead lines at the young age of 20 are usually due to strong expression when lifting the eyebrows.  Genetics is the main factor but environmental influences such as early sun damage and smoking can accelerate their appearance.  

Neuromodulators such as Botox, Dysport and Xeomin are the normal first line of treatment as they relax these very expressive muscles that cause the lines.  It is important to see an experienced physician injector who really understands your particular anatomy.  The main risk of treating the forehead alone is the possibility of dropping the brows leading to an undesired tired look. This can be avoided in expert hands.

Mark Lupin, MD
Victoria Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead lines in 20 year old

Without pictures it is hard to give an accurate recommendation. In general, good skincare creams including Retin A and growth factors is a good start. Botox/Dysport can be used to help as well. Also, sunscreen is key. Wear sunglasses too to prevent squinting and sun damage to the eye area.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Forehead wrinkles at a young age

ifnyou have a small forehead, droopy eyelids or very low set brows, you will be lifting your brows a lot staring at an early age.  My son has had deep forehead furrows from age 16 on and I used to have deep lines, since I was young, until I started Botox.  Only a surgical brow lift or Botox will help you but you must go to someone who does a lot of Botox and has a great reputation for their treatments.  Otherwise, you might get a tired look if they use too much.  Foreheads like yours are challenging, but can be treated beautifully by an expert.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Hi, lines do occur across the forehead as a result of an active forehead muscle.  Botox can soften these lines in just minutes.  Repeated Borox, Xeomin or Dysport (all neurotoxins) will decrease the muscle mass resulting in less wrinkle formation moving forward.  

Cause of horizontal forehead lines

Impossible to comment accurately without a photo.  Forehead lines form as the person lifts the brows/forehead. Sometimes, the reason to do that would be droopy upper eyelids which can happen in young too.  Sometimes it is from droopy brows although that is uncommon in young. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon