Is it normal to feel as if I have a sinus infection during recovery from septoplasty/turbinoplasty/batten graft?

My surgeon says my nose looks good, very clean. But I feel as if I have a pretty awful sinus infection - not really something I was prone to before the surgery, which was mainly to correct a collapsed nostril and narrow airway. Not much discharge but just a lot of pain, exhaustion, and a very congested feeling. I read somewhere that this feeling is normal during recovery, but I am 6 weeks out at this point and this feeling is not really getting better. In fact some days I think it's worse.

Symptoms of a Sinus Infection Are Not Terribly Uncommon Following a Rhinoplasty

It is not only possible but typical to get significant swelling inside your nose following a rhinoplasty.  The swelling does slowly go away over time.  While the swelling is present however, it can swell the sinus openings closed, giving you symptoms of a sinus infection.  If this is the case, an over-the-counter decongestant may take down enough of the swelling to make you feel better in the meantime.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after valve repair

The nose can feel congested for months after the type of surgery you had. If you have concerns that something else may be going on you may want to see an ENT for a second opinion.

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon