Massaging 24 hours after Juvederm caused bruising one one side and swelling on the other - is it possible I damaged the filler?

I got my lips done at 10:30am yesterday. Minor swelling and no bruising, until 3pm today (over 24 hours later) when I noticed some lumps and attempted to massage them out of my bottom lip. Now I'm bruised on one side and swollen on the other side. I'm afraid I've ruined my bottom lip- help!

Massaging After Lip Augmentation

Hi, and thanks for your question. You have not ruined your lip. Don't worry. Massaging after lip injection is fine. I tell most of my patients to go ahead and massage if they feel lumps afterwards. It is more likely that a delayed bruise popped up in your lip than you caused bruising through overly vigorous massage. In any case, all of this will fade. Keep icing, limit salt for a couple of days, maybe sleep on an extra pillow tonight, try taking Benadryl tonight. Your swelling will fade quickly. Your bruise will fade in a few days, depending on how large it is and on how long it typically takes for your bruises to resolve. Hope that helps

Massage of lips after filler injection

Great question!  Massaging too early after injections can cause
increased bruising & swelling.  It is important to be gentle with any massage that you do.  What you are experiencing is likely normal and resolve over the next 3-4 days.  If you notice uneven appearance after a week or two then please see the provider who did your injections for
follow up, he or she can help assess your results.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Lip Swelling/Bruising After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane

Swelling and bruising is common after lip augmentation with fillers, some experience more swelling than others. It is highly unlikely that you have done any damage by massaging your lips. I suggest allowing 10-14 days to see optimal results.  Best, Dr. Emer

Bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Thank you for your question KathLA12345. Juvederm is a filler that can be used to enhance the lips. For my patients I recommend gently massaging the area for 5 minutes at a time, 5 times per day, for the first 5 days after a treatment. Swelling and bruising are not uncommon after a treatment. Application of cold compresses such as ice packs help. In our office we treat bruises as early as the next day with a laser; this makes the bruising go away much faster, 1-3 days rather than 1-2 weeks. Swelling and bruising may last for two weeks. I have my patients return two weeks after their treatment to take after photographs and assess their results. At this time more treatments can be performed if desired. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Massaging filler

Massaging filler does very little to effect the filler itself.  It is almost impossible to move filler around with simple manipulation.  In general, it leads to more bruising and swelling if too aggressive.  Massaging won't hurt the filler but may have caused the swelling.  Ice the lip and inquire about laser treatment of the bruise if it is substantial.  Lips always swell in the first 1-2 days, in the future, cold compresses are much better than massage for swelling.  

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Final Result After Juvederm

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Swelling and bruising is normal after Juvederm injections, particularly in the lips, which always have a tendency to swell.  The swelling, and possibly bruising, typically peaks at 2-3 days after injection, so it is unlikely that you caused the bruising by massaging.  Massaging may be beneficial for any areas of unwanted fullness, but I do not recommend that you do this without discussing with your doctor first.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  I would suggest allowing for 2 weeks before judging your final result.  Icing is helpful for minimizing swelling and bruising for up to 48 hours after injection.  Arnica is also beneficial for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Hope this helps and best wishes!