How can I make my Juvederm cheek injections last longer? Will they last longer the more I get them done?

I had my cheeks injected with Juvederm Voluma and was told it should last at least 6 months. I had two syringes and I am 24 years old. It has been less than one month and I feel like I can barely see a difference. Also, does the longevity increase as you get them done more often? I have found overlapping Juvederm injections in my lips has made them last longer and wondering if this would work for cheeks as well. Thank you!

Voluma Cheeks Injection - How Long Does It Really Last?

Hi, and thanks for your question. I use Voluma daily in the cheeks and I've found it to be a really good, long lasting filler. In my experience, Voluma should last 1 to 1.5 years. Two syringes is a good amount of Voluma for someone as young as you and, even though there is some variability in how long any filler lasts, it would be really unusual for the Voluma to not be there after a month. Sometimes we get used to looking good, so I would suggest comparing before and after images at your injector's office to see if you can see the difference. Make sure that your injector is very experienced in Voluma injection - it takes experience to get facial sculpting just right.

Making That Filler Last!

The best tip I can give to make your filler last as long as possible is to sleep on your back --- don't side sleep, because this puts pressure on the filler and can affect the shape. For women who have the filler done slightly before they see noticeable loss of their fillers this prevents that wax and wane of having fillers and watching them completely resolve before coming in for touch up. I often recommend for my patients to have standing appointments so we can prevent this from happening.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Choosing the Right Cheek Filler

Are you using Juvederm or Voluma in your cheeks?  Voluma lasts 18 to 24 months and is a great filler for the cheeks.  Using
filler that has been made specifically for this area is the first step. 
Next – filling to ‘full correction’ is ideal.  After that, it’s hard to
predict who will have long lasting results & who will simply need more
frequent treatment.  I will often recommend to my patients who become
frustrated with fillers to try a different one – just to see how they respond.
Good luck!

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Voluma typically can last up to 2 years.  It is unusual for it to only last 1 month.  Please follow up with your injector. Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma and Results -- Seek an Expert

Voluma typically lasts up to two years when you get to optimal correction. If you are not seeing optimal results, I suggest returning to your injector and discussing your concerns.  If you exercise a lot this can decrease the longevity and fillers like scuptra and radiesse or bellafill should be used. Best, Dr. Emer

Voluma Duration

Thank you for your question.  In general, Voluma lasts for up to 2 years, but everyone metabolizes the product differently.  In my opinion, a duration of only 1-6 months, as in your case, is highly unusual.  I would suggest following up with your doctor for an in-person reevaluation to fully discuss your concerns and to compare before and after photographs in order to determine the best course of action.  There is some evidence that longevity increases with increased frequency of treatments due to increased collagen production.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Voluma longevity

Thank you for your question little.mermaid.xo. Voluma is a filler that can be used to enhance the cheeks. The pivotal studies demonstrated that patients can enjoy their results for up to two years with optimal treatment. In my experience, when treating a patient with 2 syringes, most people will return in 6-12 months for 1-2 syringes (1 syringe at 6 months or 2 syringes at 12 months).We have our patients return two weeks after a treatment to take after photographs to assess the results. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Fillers for cheeks

If you find that Voluma is not lasting as long as you would like, consider switching to another HA filler such as Restylane Lyft.  In my hands this provides similar results in the cheeks but comes at a more attractive price point.  You could also consider Radiesse as an alternative to HA fillers.Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Repeated filler injections

We know from studies and experience that continued injections tend to cause longer lasting results due to new collagen production.  Often, if there isn't a noticeable difference in a month, too little filler was used.  It is very unlikely that the filler has started to decrease at this point.   In general, if smaller amounts are used, there is less of an impact and tends to be less longevity.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Can more frequent injections make Voluma last longer?

Thank you for your question.  If you have had success with overlapping injections of Juvederm you may well have a similar result with Voluma.  Everyone metabolizes the products at a different rate and thus it is difficult to say.  Another option is to consider cheek implants as a long term solution.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon