Should I try the marble or earplug method after Tummy Tuck? (Photo)

I am 7 weeks post op of a tt surgery, and just removed the dressing out of my belly button and i am concern. I have always had a meaty looking belly button but because it was a inny it wasn't that bad looking but after surgery it looks really ugly. Should I try the marbel or earplug method on my belly button. My surgeon said it needed to air out but sfter I saw him I researched a little and saw those to methods sometimes work should I try it?

Post op belly button treatment (marble)

I have used hemi-marbles in the post op belly buttons for years. Convex side in, flat side out. They work. They do not cause necrosis. They are used to settle down the thickness of the scar around the belly button. They should sit ON the scar, NOT WITHIN the scar. However, they have very limited ability to enhance the depth of an "inny". That must be performed surgically. 

Internet Research

Contrary to your belief, surfing the net is not research. 99% of the websites on the net serve up a healthy dose of misinformation. Since you trusted your surgeon to do your surgery, trust him to take care of you. You've got a lot of swelling and have no idea how your belly button will look. Inserting hard objects into your belly button can cause pressure necrosis and wounding. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Earplugs and marbles in belly buttons

are usually used to help with constricting belly buttons where the opening is scarring down in a bad way.  With resolution of swelling, your belly button may improve in aesthetics.  And if it doesn't you should be able to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  If the opening is large enough, don't put stuff in your belly button as it could only lead to problems with healing.  Or you can ask your surgeon for his/her advice.

Curtis Wong, MD

Making your belly button an "INNY"

Dear Ms Perez,

Thank you for your picture. 7 weeks after surgery your belly button looks good,  It has some depth to it.  It acquire more depth as it heals.  That has been my experience with my patients.  Under no circumstances would I recommend placing a foreign object like a marble or an ear plug into your belly button.  It will not increase the depth and may hinder the healing.  Best wishes

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS