Can you "lose" your fillers due to weight loss?

I have received Voluma in my cheeks and plan to have a bit more under my eyes. I am currently on a strict diet (with a professional) and working out with a personal trainer so I plan to lose 8kg in the coming 6 months. (Current total weight 66kg). Will I "lose" my fillers if I lose weight? Should I wait until my weight has stabilized to go for the fillers? In total it is a €2k investment so i'd like to know. Thanks a lot!

Weight Loss and Fillers and Voluma

If you lose weight, you can definitely lose weight in your face.  Because of this, you may feel that you lost the fillers but you actually lost the fat or volume in your face and may need more fillers to replace it.  Best, Dr. Green

Weight loss and fillers

Thank you for your question. Weight-loss can definitely affect the facial volume. I often have patients that complain that as they lose weight, they look older because of facial volume loss. Dermal fillers are a great way to help maintain a certain look during this process. The dermal fillers will not go away faster due to weight loss, however the facial volume may continue to decrease with every few pounds to lose.  I would recommend visiting a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area with experience in weight-loss patients.

Hello Sarahmf2008,

Losing weight will not cause you to lose your filler.  However, if you are going to have significant weight loss, I would recommend you wait to get your filler.  The reason is that what looks good now may not look good once you lose the weight.  Once the weight is off you can then have an injection that looks good at that body weight.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can weight loss affect filler treatment?

Hi Sarah, weight loss causes the fat in your body to shrink. It will not have the same effect on filler. This can however change the contour of your face and alter the areas and amount of fat required to get the result you are looking for. It is typically better to be at a stable weight to get the best outcome for filler.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can you "lose" your fillers due to weight loss? = possibly #fb #fillers #weight loss

Weight loss can change the anatomy of the soft tissues of the face ( primarily volume of the adipose tissue-fat). If weight loss occurs too fast, the skin won't have enough time to adapt and may result in skin laxity.

Ideally patients  thinking of treating their faces with facial fillers  like voluma should have an an stable weight for have reached the desired weight if undergoing weight loss. Weight loss after voluma application on the face could result in under inadequate treatment. e.g if the right loss is too much, the effects of voluma could be minimal if low volumes utilized, or could be excessive if increased number of syringes used ( since the filler won't "shrink" with weight loss).

John Mesa, MD

Fillers and weight loss

Hi

Thanks for the question.  Losing weight will not cause loss of fillers.  Fillers are not affected by weight loss. However, weight loss can first be seen in the face, so if you lose weight then your face may thin out and make you look like you lost volume.  This could be interpreted as loss of fillers.  

Hope this helps.  

Thank you for your excellent question.  Losing weight will cause fat shrinkage from all parts of your body, including the natural fat found within your face, but it will not cause "loss" of your fillers as these are not diet or exercise sensitive.  Depending on the appearance you are looking to maintain, you may require additional fillers after your weight loss in order to maintain a particular size or contour of the cheek and eyes.  Hope that this helps.