How long do red marks after Facelift surgery last? (photo)

I have some red marks on my neck, nearly six weeks after a face/necklift. One comes down from behind my left ear and extends onto the neck, and the other is in the center of the neck/throat. I have been using BioCorneum on these marks. How long can I expect these to last before they fade? (see attached photo) Thank you.

Linear red mark on the neck following facelift

The pattern and location of the linear red mark is consistent with pressure from a constrictive bandage. I would avoid any further pressure or rubbing on the skin until it is healed. Occasionally you can see a similar pattern that corresponds to a flexion crease, where thin skin was formerly attached to the underlying muscle (platysma). For now, I would continue to keep the skin covered with a bland ointment or silicone gel such as BioCorneum.  If the skin is thick or raised, which can be a sign of incipient (early stage) scar, I would treat with IPL or a vascular laser (Vbeam).  Best wishes.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red marks may be due to the dressing.

The red marks are most likely the result of a tight facelift dressing. It would be unusual for this problem to persist longer than a few days and is certainly something you should discuss with your surgeon.

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red marks on skin after face lift

Based on your photo, it looks like the mark may have been made by a tight post-op dressing, or from a drain. I would be concerned about the possibility of some long-term discoloration of that area (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). I would address this with your surgeon to follow up and see if some intervention is necessary.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red areas after face lift

These look almost like you may have had some slight skin slough in this area.  Did you get a scab here?  When that happens it takes longer for the redness to fade.   Also wonder if you wore a garment that may have been rubbing in this area.  IT will all face.  May want to try some IPL to help speed up the resolution.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Red marks after face lift

Thank you for your question about your face lift.

The fading depends on the cause of the redness:
  1. from general effects of surgery - they should be fading by 6 weeks.
  2. If skin was especially thin around these lines - fading may take longer
  3. If there is a permanent Giampappa suture under your skin, redness may persist until the suture is removed.
  4. If the irritation if from Biocorneum or any other skin product - they stay red until the product is stopped.
  5. If the irritation is from a garment - they stay red until the garment is stopped.
Ask your surgeon which seems the most likely problem for you - and ask her/his advice on its management.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Persistent red mark should be shown to your surgeon.

If you are six weeks postop these areas should have substantially resolved. If you're wearing some sort of compressive garment it may be irritating the skin. Regardless you should show this to your surgeon.

Red marks after facelift

Wow, those are pretty red.  I wonder if this line is along where your drains were running.  Rest assured that this will fade in time.  A vascular IPL treatment may be a good idea to speed the process along, so ask your surgeon about that.  Best of luck!

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon