How many liposuction procedures can I get at once?

I'm considering getting liposuction done on multiple areas: stomach (abs), back, arms, and chin. Is this feasible? Does getting multiple areas done at once prolong recovery? Are results worse than if each area is done separately?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

There are many variables in deciding how many areas or how much can be done at one setting with lipo.

A few areas can be done with each liposuction procedure under local and a few procedures can be done just a  day or two apart. Usually an upper and lower tummy and hips can be done in 1 procedure and then the midback, axillae(arm pit areas) and arms can be done in another procedure and the thighs/knees in another. all 3 can be done in 1 week easily usually. Some docs will try to do it all in just one procedure under general anesthesia and only take a little out of each area so you wind up with a lousy result. It is better to go to a doc who is very thorough and does it under local for best results.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction procedures

hi Olya777,
Thank you for your questions. You can get liposuction done on multiple area as long as you are healty and your primary care physician clears you for the surgery.  You should go see board certified plastic surgeon for in-person consultation to get details of the surgery and get general idea of how much fat can be removed. Best of Luck,

Peter Newen, MD

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question. Yes, multiple areas can be performed together as long as you are in overall good health and cleared for elective surgery by your primary care doctor. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Liposuction - how many areas can be done at once?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Liposuction procedures are based on the fat removed, not the number of sites.
  • For instance, a very heavy person may only be able to have the abdomen treated.
  • A thinner person might have the abdomen, flanks and back treated.
  • Results should be the same if done together or separately.
  • The volume limit is generall 5,000 cc - but in Florida, it is 4000.
  • I suggest you consuilt a plastic surgeon to see how many areas can be done in you at one time.
  • Since each area has to heal, you will have more pain with more procedures but it usually subsides in about 5 days to a tolerate ache.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Good morning! Thank you for your question in regards to treating multiple areas with liposuction. I would also agree that it depends on how much fat needs removed from each area and the amount of time that you will be under general anesthesia. There is a safe amount of time that we like limit patients to. If you haven't already done so, make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with the liposuction procedure. At that time, you can both discuss what's safe for you! Good luck!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Limits on liposuction

Instead of limiting liposuction by the NUMBER of areas treated, it is more appropriate to limit it by the amount of fat that is removed.  There are people who have large amounts of fat in certain areas, and it is only safe to treat a single area at one time.  Other people have smaller volumes of fat that allow multiple areas to be treated at the same time.  If possible, and safe, it is better to have more areas treated at one time - cheaper, less anesthesia, one recovery, one period of compression.  Safety MUST  be primary, however, and limits depend on multiple factors - general health, experience of the plastic surgeon, certification of the surgery center, training of the anesthesiologist, etc.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

We do full bodies at one time it all depends on the amount removed to determine if more than one procedure is needed or not.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposculpting Mutiple Areas

You've already received some informative information from the other physicians.  Everybody patient is different so a consultation in person is the best way to find out what's best for you.  I usually find that the maximum in one session is the upper and lower abdomen, flanks, lower back, and sometimes the chin.  Adding the arms is likely going to be too much in one session because of lidocaine dosage and the volume of aspirate.  Doing too much at one time typically leads to less removal of fat and less dramatic results.  Hope this helps.  :)

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Multiple areas treated at the same time

many people have multiple areas treated at the same time.

The number of areas that are appropriate to be treated in a single procedure depend on several factors.

The overall health of the patient is one of them.

The amount of fat estimated to be removed is another.

Thirdly the amount of lidocaine or numbing medicine can also be a factor when the procedure is done without general anesthesia.

The number of areas you describe are done together fairly frequently.

I have had patients have more areas treated in a single session. I have also had patients who require three separate procedures to just treat their abdomen, waist, hips and back.
There are advantages to having multiple areas treated at the same time but safety parameters need to be followed.

The result of each area treated should not be different depending on how many areas are treated at the same time if the surgeon is doing a good job.
Recovery will be slightly longer if multiple areas are treated but recovery has much more to do with which area is being treated.

Lower extremity's and liposuction of the abdomen tend to require the longest healing.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD