I think I had botched lipo on the inside of my knees. (photos)

I had lipo on the inside of my knees at the end of April. They are lumpy, discolored and very painfull. I have to take a prescription pain pill every morning and night. The swell up at night. Not sure if they will ever get better and I am worried about the discoloration. I've been back to the surgeon at least 5 times and he doesn't seem concerned. Should I be?

I think I had botched lipo on the inside of my knees.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Pain after knee liposuction

Dear tvisser. 

Could you please tell us your age? It is not normal to have pain 2 months after liposuction. Is it getting worse or is it healing slowly? If the pain and swelling decreasing day by day it is a good sign. Otherwise is is better for you to take laboratory tests for chronic inflammatory conditions. Good luck and regards.

Ege Ozgentas, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- HI DEFINITION REVISION

I suggest seeing a Vaser HI definition sculpting physician who can evaluate what type of procedure is needed and if revision and fat grafting are needed. You should not be experiencing pain three months after treatment, and should consult with an expert for evaluation. This type of damage is typically from an over aggressive approach and needs radiofrequency, hyperbaric treatments. Massage may help with internal scarring, cellutone/z wave does more.  Please seek expert advice for this.  Best, Dr. Emer

Knee liposuction - was it botched?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your knees should not be very pain almost 3 months after liposuction.
  • It suggests that the liposuction somehow damaged your knees.
  • The extensive skin discoloration may be damaged small blood vessels (if you can see a network of tiny red lines) - treatment is with a vascular laser.
  • If the discoloration is brown (as it seems in the photo), it is probably post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
  • This may improve with time if you keep the skin out of the sun -
  • 100% shea or cocoa butter can also help.
  • But given the pain, please see a Board Certified orthopedic surgeon for evaluation of your knees.
  • You also need to stop taking narcotic pain medicines - ask your regular doctor for advice on slowly decreasing what you take and substituting a combination of Advil and Tylenol instead.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS