Will Liposuction cause more lipomas?

I have small lipomas all over my upper body, mostly pea sized but some of them are grape sized. I'm considering liposuction of my flanks, but have reservations because of the lipomas I have. Am I at increased risk of developing new lipomas in the area of liposuction?

Will Liposuction Cause Increased Growth of Lipomas?

No, and in the areas of liposuction, any lipomas encountered will also be reduced. Lipomas can be removed with a 1/4 to 3/8" incision. Lipomas develop from some altered genetic pathways and their number and distribution seems to be in patterns. Some patients have one or two, some have many, some have them primarily on their torso, or extremities, some have them everywhere and in great numbers. It is a difficult problem. I currently remove the small ones with a tiny stab incision with a #11 blade with a resulting small scar as mentioned.  When they are over 3.5 cm I may reduce them with power assisted liposuction and then remove them through the same kind of small incision. Debulking them with Smartlipo can also be done but full removal cannot be determined for sure.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Will Liposuction cause more lipomas?

This is a very good question. No, you are not at risk of developing lipomas in the areas of liposuction.

Fred Suess, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- Removal of Lipomas

Liposuction is a great procedure for the removal of lipomas. By undergoing liposuction, you are not an increased risk of developing new lipomas. I suggest consulting with a VASER Hi definition contouring specialist for fat reduction, body sculpting and skin tightening. Best, Dr. Emer

Will Liposuction cause more lipomas?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lipomas and liposuction

I have see lipoma successfully removed using liposuction and I have seen the problems with it.

I have seen two cases where lipomas were fragmented and each piece left behind grew into new individual lipomas.

I have also seen several instances where lipomas were successfully removed using liposuction with no recurrence.

As a general statement when removing a lipoma using liposuction it is unlikely 100% of the lipoma will be removed without leaving some type of indentation.

Any residual piece of a lipoma that's left behind can potential he continue growing into a new recurrent lipoma.
I'm certain areas like legs and arms lipomas can easily be removed with a very small incision usually much smaller than the lipoma itself.

The decision of how to proceed is best done on an individual basis by someone who has experience both with the removal of lipomas and liposuction.

My practice is exclusively devoted to body contouring using various forms of liposuction and fat transfer.

Over the last 20 years of being a surgeon I've had ample opportunity to remove many many lipomas.

The removal of lipomas is generally covered by medical Insurance but liposuction is not.

Lipomas removed with the use of liposuction could be covered by medical insurance depending on how the procedure is coded and billed.

Regardless liposuction of areas not related to the lipomas will not be covered by medical insurance.
Feel free to call my office to make an appointment for a consultation if you would like to discuss options in person.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction - will it cause more lipomatosis

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your condition (lipomatosis) is inherited and quite common.
  • Liposuction should not increase the number of lipomas that form.
  • In fact, liposuction has been used to remove lipomas and if you have liposuctions in the area of liposuction, some are likely to be removed.
  • Removing the fat however may make you more aware of any remaining lipomas in the area of liposuction.
  • So you should be fine having liposuction.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS